Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Poll: would you buy a Wranlger with a Honda 3.5 Vtec Diesel

Old 08-03-2008, 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by derff96963
I don't really care if you think it doesn't suck. I think they do and I will NEVER buy one or anything associated to it.
have you had a bad experience with a Honda that you'd like to share? Because I don't think I've ever heard of such a story....everyone I know with a Honda has had nothing but good things to say about it (we've had one too, good car). A guy I work with has a '93 Accord with 380,000 miles on it and drives it about 65 miles round trip from home to work everyday.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eisenjj
I'd give it a shot!

BUT, If we are going to dream then I would really like to have the 5.0L V10 diesel out of the VW Touareg. 310BHP and 553LB/FT.!!!
yeah, that'd be awesome!
Old 08-03-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

only if it gave me 400+ ft lbs torque and 30+ mpg
Old 08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Honda engine for sure!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

That plant would be sweeeeet!
Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
have you had a bad experience with a Honda that you'd like to share? Because I don't think I've ever heard of such a story....everyone I know with a Honda has had nothing but good things to say about it (we've had one too, good car). A guy I work with has a '93 Accord with 380,000 miles on it and drives it about 65 miles round trip from home to work everyday.
I used to work at a national Auto parts chain. I could not even begin to tell you all the things I have seen and heard. If I was given one or won one in a raffle I would immediately sell it and buy a real vehicle.

I think the thing is years ago they were decent cars. Back in the late 80's early 90's. They were reliable because they were simple. Not really much to go wrong. There was however a stigma about buying one since it was a foreign made car. So owner had to say something to justify owning one so "There are ultra Reliable" That has stuck however it could not be farther from the truth. I have had many people lie in front of me. I would be ringing up someones order and a friends of theirs would walk in. The friend would say something like hey with that POS you must be here all the time. The person would reply not its been great me just getting some oil. The truth was that person was in the store about once a week trying to buy "Dealer only" parts. That scenario is just one of many.

Any don't use the I had one that went 300,000 miles. A lot of cars can do they. A friend just lost a 93 Saturn (made by GM) with 250,000 miles on it. He was rear ended and with that mileage they totaled it. They only thing ever replaced on that car was three Alternators, 4 batteries and a water pump. People that own Honda's and Toyota's like I said don't tell the truth and if that type of person buy a Jeep of another American brand and one thing goes wrong they yell it from the mountaintops and tell everyone.

Its just not right....
Old 08-04-2008, 02:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

its very odd that ppl are claiming that Honda are not reliable, but considering they top the UK JD Power surveys year in year out for reliability, service costs, dealer service levels, etc... this would be very much contrary to this!

Jap cars have impecable records here, and for all the Good Reasons, much moreso than our German cousins, as they have slipped off the top over recent years

im not being funny but working for an auto parts chain you will only ever hear the bad cases in the main part due to the nature of your work surely?!? or am i being naive here??
Old 08-04-2008, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by coltc2000
only if it gave me 400+ ft lbs torque and 30+ mpg
Well, I'm no engine expert, but I think the 400+ on the tq is doable. I'd guess the mileage would be more in the low-mid 20's range, though, in the JK brick.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by x5tuu
honda all the way imo

there diesels are really torque-y and pull like trains and are very very good on fuel

a friend has a CRV and HRV and they are both similare kerb weights to the JK and they get a consistent 45mpg around town and nearer 55mpg on the motorways

best of both worlds imo
If what's built or used here in the states proves to be as reliable as you say they are there, I would buy one.

EDIT> BTW I thought this was a poll. Where do I click for yes?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Sure would but I might prefer a Mercedes Benz Diesel which has been out there for over 20years in commerical vehicles.

Quick Reply: Poll: would you buy a Wranlger with a Honda 3.5 Vtec Diesel