Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Which of the Three for my Wife
4-dr JK Rubicon
40.68%
C6 Corvette
4.24%
C6 Z06 Corvette
55.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - 4-dr JK Rubi or C6 Vette or C6Z06 Vette

Old 11-06-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben
agreed on the challenger. Good looking from straight in the front, every other angle is awkward, too much ass can actually be a bad thing, and in my opinion that is where the challenger loses it. I too am excited about the camaro. I own a 67 with a 327, 4 speed, and 3.73 positraction in marina blue inside and out, and can't wait to add the latest camaro to the collection. There is something to be said for being single. You are sometimes lonely, but there is nothing stopping you from buying your toys, such as wanting to get edelbrocks new crate motor 555, 700+ carburated horses, and 20 mpg in most applications for around 13,000$. One of these dressed like a period correct motor would be right at home in the 67...
ahhhhhhh yes indeed sir...nice...I love the old Camaro's, been kicking around the "new" one idea...
Old 11-06-2008, 03:59 PM
jmc
JK Enthusiast

I would also love to get a new camaro, but I would go with the Z28 version to come out later on.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jmc
I would also love to get a new camaro, but I would go with the Z28 version to come out later on.
Z28 is the lesser version, wouldn't it be their v6 (300hp) version, then the Z28, then the SS like they've always done?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

get a viper

mopar or no car
Old 11-07-2008, 05:43 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
Z28 is the lesser version, wouldn't it be their v6 (300hp) version, then the Z28, then the SS like they've always done?
According to the camaro display at the state fair of texas and the literature I picked up, the new camaro will initially be offered in ls, lt, and ss versions. The ls and lt have the 300hp direct injection v6 out of the cadillac sts. The SS has two different v8's the L89/L98?? and the ls3. The ls3 is the more powerful of the two with 436 hp. There is not z28 version although one is rumored to be coming as a "track warrior" in the next few years. No convertibles in the first year. Pricing mirrors the mustang pricing. Before dealer gouging you should be able to get into an ls3 ss for around 27 base price.

At first I was like WTF?!? on no z28 and just ss version being the v8 version, but it actually makes several kinds of sense.

First from a marketing standpoint it is easier for people to differentiate.

Second from a historical standpoint. In the beginning, the SS was not realy a higher performance vehicle than a z28, just different purposes. While the SS could be had with big blocks, lots of options, and killer quarter mile times, the z28 was made specifically for the trans-am style road racing. It focused more on handling and mid to high range power than on torque and grunt like some of the other motors. Consider this, which has always blown my mind. The 69 z28 used a 302 v8, not a whole lot of displacement, but could rev quiet high for the time. On top of this you had the option to fit not just one, but two Holley 750cfm carburators, headers, and up to a 5.02 rear gear ratio with positraction.

5.02?!? limited top speed to below 95, but was great for the trans am style road race, but would red line before the quarter mile was through. Also the m21 and m22 muncie transmissions had a really tall 1st gear ratio, ( I can go 35 mph in 1st gear with my m21 and 3.73 gears!) and then 2nd 3rd and 4th are so close you only drop a few hundred rpms between shifts.

So while there were many cars that could have killed the above z28 stoplight to stoplight or at the quartermile, almost nothing on the road could kill it from a 15-20 mph rolling start. And can you imagine going 60 and then getting over to pass someone when all 8 barrels kick in and you have hp for days?

Sorry I didn't mean to write so much, I just got excited, I need to go to the bathroom now...
Old 11-07-2008, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LedZepp877
get a viper

mopar or no car
ehh Vipers are just ok, 2nd Place was the Corvette ZR1 tied with the 600hp Viper (not the Viper ACR though)....

I do like the new yellow Viper though
Old 11-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by eisenjj
Chrysler is trying to sell the Viper line to another manufacturer. No talks right now, but they put out the feelers. It's either they kill it or sell it off and they would like for the model to continue.

The whole company may just fade away, so you might have to change you view or drive used the rest of your life.
I agree with Sasquatch. The viper is ok, but I don't feel like you get your money out of it. What you do get is a long ass hood and styling that says "Look at me, I don't have a small penis, Really!"
Old 11-07-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ben
I agree with Sasquatch. The viper is ok, but I don't feel like you get your money out of it. What you do get is a long ass hood and styling that says "Look at me, I don't have a small penis, Really!"
Totally agree.... Dodge Viper WAS....the muscle car to be had on the market with that V10. However, there are a number of muscle cars in the market that LOOK & DRIVE better than the Viper and are a much BETTER BARGAIN for the Buck.

I personally would not be sad to see the Viper disappear for a few years.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Totally agree.... Dodge Viper WAS....the muscle car to be had on the market with that V10. However, there are a number of muscle cars in the market that LOOK & DRIVE better than the Viper and are a much BETTER BARGAIN for the Buck.

I personally would not be sad to see the Viper disappear for a few years.
I considered buying one of the early to mid 90's ones. They can be had with reasonable miles, (who puts a whole bunch of miles on a viper?!?) for the low 20's and upper teens. Of course these were back when they had no abs and many of them had no a/c or radios. I think they look great from the beginning of the viper run only complaint is those cheesy late 80's three spoke wheels they used to put on them.

Very tempting...
Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ben
I considered buying one of the early to mid 90's ones. They can be had with reasonable miles, (who puts a whole bunch of miles on a viper?!?) for the low 20's and upper teens. Of course these were back when they had no abs and many of them had no a/c or radios. I think they look great from the beginning of the viper run only complaint is those cheesy late 80's three spoke wheels they used to put on them.

Very tempting...
hey remember the old ones that looked like kit-cars on the inside? But I did like the split door freaking Bombadier Beetle looking door/hood shape along with the side exhaust

Quick Reply: Poll - 4-dr JK Rubi or C6 Vette or C6Z06 Vette