Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Plastic Welding

Old 11-04-2008, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

D%mn sharkbite that looks great good job
Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the nice comments. I was a little nervous about it before I started, But I just went for it. If it didn't look good, I would have just left it cut with open ends. If you look closely you can see a little ridge at the seams. It's good enough for me, but if you wanted you could use the epoxy and sand and paint for a better finish.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sharkbite
If you look closely you can see a little ridge at the seams. It's good enough for me, but if you wanted you could use the epoxy and sand and paint for a better finish.

I used Duplicolor Sprayliner to paint the whole thing when I was done.

You can cover your sanding and seams, and almost match the texture of the bumper and fenders if you want to .
Old 11-05-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Junkie

Ok, In past posts, I had recommended using a Quick Steel Plastic Repair putty to fill in seams for welds on customized bumpers.

However, although it is strong and waterproof, and easy to work with...
IT WILL NOT HOLD UP TO WATER PRESSURE!

I was washing my first mud off of the Tonka, and the spray pushed out all of the putty, leaving me to pull the bumper and start over.
This time i will skip being lazy, and weld the plastic all the way around on both sides. Its more difficult to shape and sand, but it will do better in the long run!

Sorry if taking my previous advice causes anyone else the same problem.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
I used Duplicolor Sprayliner to paint the whole thing when I was done.

You can cover your sanding and seams, and almost match the texture of the bumper and fenders if you want to .
Oh sweet I just now noticed you had 4 fog lights, I couldn't tell what you changed by plastic welding, etc. Pretty friggin cool mod. RubiRascal and I put on his front LOD stubby winch bumper and it came with fog light mounts, the Shrocks stubby does not which sucks but I guess I could always add them. Their midwidth has them at least.

Quick Reply: Plastic Welding