Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Plasti dipped hardware?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Black on black forest green. Or does anyone have any other ideas of a color scheme? I know they make different colors of it.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hughbear
Nice. Black on black forest green. Or does anyone have any other ideas of a color scheme? I know they make different colors of it.
They make a kit so you can mix whatever color you want, im doing black and copper with my metalic green
Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I plasti-dipped my chrome Mopar Tail lamp guards and chrome Mopar fuel filler door......along with my wheels.

Looks sweet.....
Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

Guys. How would I go about dipping my wheels without taking them off? Seeing as I'm an EXTREMELY busy college kid that has 0 time to jack the jeep up, spraying them while they are on is the only option. And for everyone!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hughbear
Guys. How would I go about dipping my wheels without taking them off? Seeing as I'm an EXTREMELY busy college kid that has 0 time to jack the jeep up, spraying them while they are on is the only option. And for everyone!!!
Depends on your wheels but: take duct tape or any other strong packing tape and tape the back side if the wheels covering the holes. Use lots of tape to make sure no paint gets through. Take 3x5 note cards and overlap them around the wheel. Spray away! Did this on my challenger and it came out great.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MSmitty
Depends on your wheels but: take duct tape or any other strong packing tape and tape the back side if the wheels covering the holes. Use lots of tape to make sure no paint gets through. Take 3x5 note cards and overlap them around the wheel. Spray away! Did this on my challenger and it came out great.
Thanks budro. I'll give that a shot after finals and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

It peals right off the wheel...
I used Walmart shopping bags and just stuffed them around the breaks making sure no plastic touched the wheel, and sprayed away.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did my door hinges, locks. Has held up great since the summer, even through the car wash.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3228241314.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	393425   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3294761255.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	393426  
Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doing the hinges looks good, has anyone done the larger part of the doors (not the area around the window) in plasti-dip and leave the hinges colored? thought about doing something like that on mine since the door panels have already become pretty scratched up. Also thought about doing the grill and taping off the sunken area around the headlight and leaving that colored. Any thoughts? will it look tacky? I've seen people say it peels off, but do you have to sand or primer to apply it? thanks.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spinuck
Doing the hinges looks good, has anyone done the larger part of the doors (not the area around the window) in plasti-dip and leave the hinges colored? thought about doing something like that on mine since the door panels have already become pretty scratched up. Also thought about doing the grill and taping off the sunken area around the headlight and leaving that colored. Any thoughts? will it look tacky? I've seen people say it peels off, but do you have to sand or primer to apply it? thanks.
Nope just clean it and let it dry, with 4 good coats it peels off so you can experiment

Quick Reply: Plasti dipped hardware?