Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

planning to buy a winch

Old 12-26-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planning to buy a winch

Throw in your two cents...if you have a winch and like it which is it? If you had it to do again, which would you buy? I'm looking for a bumper/winch combo.

Thanks. jj
Old 12-26-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can't go wrong with a Warn
Old 12-26-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I opted for the smitty # 8. I really just need it for emergency...

Also I had purchased the smitty tube bumper and this winch bolted right up, no plate needed and so did the roller.

happy trails...
Old 12-26-2008, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say the same thing every time this question comes up. You also asked about the bumper so I must say that there are some aftermarket bumpers that don't have enough room for this winch. I have a custom made bumper so I made mine to fit the winch.

A winch is a pretty significant mod and you should weigh the cost and use of the winch for your needs. I looked at my likely uses and the weight of my 2door and how often I would really use the winch. The Smittybuilt is a good choice for many, the Warn m8000 is also a great choice for a little more money. I weighed all of the variables and decided on the Superwinch EPi 9.0. I am happy with my decision. Here are some of the reasons I choose the Superwinch but your needs might dictate something else.

Reasons for the Superwinch. $560
Low Price for a High end quality winch,
Fast line speed- When others are waiting for you it matters, when you need extra cool down time it matters, when you think about the time you have for the trail and plans you made to have that day...it matters.
Powerful
Waterproof Contactor
Low Amp Draw
External Brake Great for Synthetic line
Great Warranty
Snatchblock included -
125ft. cable
Well built thimble

EPi9.0 Warranty and Solenoid details:

"The Best Winch Warranty in the Winch Industry:
Limited Lifetime on winch mechanicals, 3 years on the switching solenoid, and 1 year on the remainder of winch electrical components
Superwinch builds exceptional quality, and value into every product we build. It was the development of the EP series that has brought our company to a new high in value and has prompted us to increase the warranty on the EP series, among others. EP winches have features that our competitors cannot match, even at nearly double the price!

Our exclusive solenoid, with its silver-alloy contact pads, thick copper buss bars, and submersion-quality sealed construction, make it clearly unmatched in the winching industry. It is simply the most reliable solenoid in the industry, so thousands of off-roaders can now enjoy the trail, worry-free. Our confidence in this product allows us to extend the electrical warranty on these solenoids to 3 years. Spare solenoids are not needed with a Superwinch EP or any of the other Superwinch products that carry this exclusive component."

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 12-26-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

I bought a Warn because they have a great reputation plus I like the way their winches look as well.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RedneckJeep just installed a nice combo on his rig- he did a lot of research, give him a PM....
Old 12-26-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Warn M8000. I thought about Smittybilt. Saying "I only need it for emergency" is more of a reason NOT to get a cheaper unit. At least to me. I don't wanna take any chances. If you're in an emergency situation and a cheap winch lets you down....just remember you got what you paid for.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I just shopped them all and chose the Superwinch 9.0EPi. For the money it is a good deal and comes with the same warranty as the Warn product. Just ordered mine today.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Warn 9.5ti on an AEV bar.

Why?? The Warn because of their reputation and this one because of it's looks, speed, and sealing ability. The AEV because it just looks good, is full length (which by law is what we have to have over here), and very well made.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:47 AM
JK Freak

Warn PowerPlant HP mounted to a Shrockworks Mid Width bumper...

Great winch, And has a built in air compressor for airing up your tires on the trail.

If you can afford this option, It's money well spent,IMO

Quick Reply: planning to buy a winch