Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Plan my Vacation

Old 11-03-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plan my Vacation

Ok, so here's the deal. I randomly decided I need a vacation, so I've requested all of Thanksgiving week off (Nov. 22-26th). With the 2 weekends there, that means I've got Nov. 20th-28th to work with.

Question is: What should I do?

Some background info:
  1. I bought my 2011 2 door Sport about a month ago. So, vacation ideas shouldn't be too expensive. I need money left over for wheels/tires/lift!
  2. I have an event in Huntington, WV on the 20th, so that is the 'starting point'
  3. I'll be driving wherever I go, so keep in mind, wherever you tell me to go, I have to get back to Clarksburg, WV by the 28th.
  4. Not looking for trails or anything. My Jeep is entirely stock, and I won't be travelling with any other vehicles.
  5. Good suggestions include: cool places to see live music, oddities/attractions, brewpubs...Be creative!

I'm also really into Crossfit, so while I doubt I would make a particular gym a destination unto itself, I will probably look up 1 or 2 en route to wherever I'm going and hit those up.

Come on guys, have fun with this!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wvxlt
Ok, so here's the deal. I randomly decided I need a vacation, so I've requested all of Thanksgiving week off (Nov. 22-26th). With the 2 weekends there, that means I've got Nov. 20th-28th to work with.

Question is: What should I do?

Some background info:
  1. I bought my 2011 2 door Sport about a month ago. So, vacation ideas shouldn't be too expensive. I need money left over for wheels/tires/lift!
  2. I have an event in Huntington, WV on the 20th, so that is the 'starting point'
  3. I'll be driving wherever I go, so keep in mind, wherever you tell me to go, I have to get back to Clarksburg, WV by the 28th.
  4. Not looking for trails or anything. My Jeep is entirely stock, and I won't be travelling with any other vehicles.
  5. Good suggestions include: cool places to see live music, oddities/attractions, brewpubs...Be creative!

I'm also really into Crossfit, so while I doubt I would make a particular gym a destination unto itself, I will probably look up 1 or 2 en route to wherever I'm going and hit those up.

Come on guys, have fun with this!
Panama City!!!!!

Excuse me for that, still in high school so i deserve a party comment
Old 11-03-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

I say you just pick a highway and drive and stop at whatever seems interesting along the way.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Blue Ridge Parkway. Put the top down and enjoy the scenery for 469 miles (at a max speed limit of 45 MPH, it will take a few days, but there are plenty of exits/entries to allow bypass on faster highways). Get off the parkway here and there to visit some of the sights: Shenandoah (where you should spend a night or two and do some hiking--the Appalachian Trail runs the length of the parkway), Vanderbilt Mansion, Monticello, Great Smokey Mountains (where you should climb the short, paved trail to the goofy structure on the summit of Clingman's Dome). If you still have a couple days, head on down to Atlanta, where there will be no shortage of great things to see and do.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 11-04-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:52 AM
JK Freak

There is a Rausch creek wheeling event on black friday, you could attend that in PA. There are nice areas in north central pa and southern NY.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Blue Ridge Parkway. Put the top down and enjoy the scenery for 469 miles (at a max speed limit of 45 MPH, it will take a few days, but there are plenty of exits/entries to allow bypass on faster highways). Get off the parkway here and there to visit some of the sights: Shenandoah (where you should spend a night or two and do some hiking--the Appalachian Trail runs the length of the parkway), Vanderbilt Mansion, Monticello, Great Smokey Mountains (where you should climb the short, paved trail to the goofy structure on the summit of Clingman's Dome). If you still have a couple days, head on down to Atlanta, where there will be no shortage of great things to see and do.
Not a bad suggestion, except for the 'top down' part. You either visited the parkway at a different time of year or you're a lot more hardcore than I am
Old 11-04-2010, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did a trip through Canada late this summer. Maybe not such a great idea in winter but maybe Niagara Falls would be a good place to go?

From Huntington, you could do 4 hours to Cuyahoga Falls National Park for some hiking and overnight. Then on a little over 4 hours to Niagara Falls for a night. Then pick out something interesting to do through PA on your way back through to WV making a loop.

If you go to Niagara Falls, stay on the Canadian Side (you'll need Passports in today's post 9/11 world). The views are great from the hotels in Downtown Niagara Falls Ontario.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by phantomandy
... Cuyahoga Falls National Park ...
Cuyahoga Valley National Park, perhaps? There is no Cuyahoga Falls National Park My son and I are national park nuts, and have hiked, camped, backpacked, paddled, snorkeled and four-wheeled in all except four in the lower 48 states--42 total visited).
Old 11-04-2010, 04:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by wvxlt
Not a bad suggestion, except for the 'top down' part. You either visited the parkway at a different time of year or you're a lot more hardcore than I am
Definitely a different time of year: June. Still, doors on and windows up, if need be, the Jeep's heater puts out a fair amount of heat.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:53 AM
JK Freak

Crossfit? You must be pretty active. Drive over to the Appalachian Trail Headquarters in Harpers Ferry, WV and hike the Shenandoah Valley leg of the trail into Virginia. It is one of the most beautiful legs of the hike (and its plenty hard so you will be okay missing a few Crossfit days). The Shenandoah leg is also full of shack, cabins, huts, and lean-tos because it is so popular. Have a friend pick you up on the other side of the National Park.

Perfect weather for Camping and Hiking!!!

Quick Reply: Plan my Vacation