Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Performance enhancers??

Old 12-14-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the CAI, TBS and Jet 1 chip and mobile 1 (yes i think synthetic helps in this area too) and think there is some improvement there but the biggest difference comes from when the engine is completely loosened up at about 10K.

Last edited by ibjeepr; 12-14-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07rubisteve
Rubicon_Fan and I have almost the same JK's...both unlimiteds, both lifted, both running 35's, 6spd, OEM 410 gears, both Rubis. I have the added weight of the Warn front bumper and Winch. I have AFE intake and magnflow exhaust. My JK has 60,000kms, Rubicon_fans has 30,000kms.

We decided to switch rides the other day to see the differences. Both Rubicon_fan and I were amazed how much better throttle response and power my Jk had all the way threw to 5500 rpm than his...I really could see how much more sluggish his felt.

I have had my mods on for over 1.5 years, and really got used to it, but after driving his JK, I totally noticed the difference. Don't get me wrong, its not a hemi or anything, but I know I can easily pull away from him... My guesstimate is that I may have 7-10hp on him...at least it feels like that..

You will have different views from lots of owners here, and reviews depend on what the expectation of that owner was from that mod...some are happy with any noticeable difference, where others expect huge gains, and therefore think the mod is useless. I did not expect huge gains, but was happy with the outcome, specially after this recent test Rubicon_fan and I did.

There are tonnnnnnnes of thread on here debating pros and cons about Intakes, and exhausts, just do a search and you can almost read endless opinions....

Cheers

Steve
Excellent, this is what I was looking for...I know there are discussions on the board but sifting through opinions is like paddling up stream without the paddles....I'm most curious if the results people are seeing is directly assosciated to their specific add ons vs the normal break in cycle of the engines....thats interesting about your rides though for sure, baring any other variables that is....I am naturally a skeptical individual and reluctant to "buy" into marketing hype....and just to clarify so noone gets to wrong idea, I have no personal interest in purchasing anything to upgrade the power of my Jeep
Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

WOL, I am sure that the gears made the best change in performance for you, but the other upgrades just contribute to make it that much better. If you now drove a stock rubicon or one similar to yours without any gears, intake, exhaust etc.. i am sure you would be amazed....

BlackNorthernJK, you are right that most performance parts make the outrageous claims, but some do work well, and I can attribute to this as of the recent test. I do not regret the performance mods I have done.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Junkie

I added my CAI after about 2K miles, and it helped a bit (and made the engine sound much better under throttle). I added Hypertech power tuning after about 15K miles, and it was much more noticeable than the CAI. I added 5.13 gearing after 18.5K miles, and the difference was huge. My 35" tires on on their way, and I do expect that they'll effectively negate the performance increase that I gained through regearing.

As WOL said, I think that the CAI is a nice component of a performance package, but by itself it's really just a nice noisemaker with the added bonus of maybe 5 hp... but in conjunction with other "performance enhancers," it's much more noticeable.

I can't imagine going back to stock now!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmmm, alright I have to admit the 'break in' cycle should be well over and done when you guys installed these items, so guess we can take that out of the eqaution....thanks guys, all very interesting

Quick Reply: Performance enhancers??