Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

People messing with your co2 tanks

Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People messing with your co2 tanks

Just getting ready to mount up my tank, location still undecided, and I was wondering for those of you who have mounted your tank where it is readily available tot he general pulic, do you find that people will mess with it, open valve, whatever?

I haven't found any type of locking cover to keep this from happening and was thinking of molding some kydex and putting a padlock on it. Eventually I would like to make a cover of steel that will be able to incorporate a Tuffy key alike lock so I only have to worry about one key with me.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Junkie

Mine is mounted on the passenger side rear roll bars. Never once have I had it messed with (knock on wood) and I go with no rear windows or doors for about 6 months a year. I've even parked it at the airport for sevreal day with no issues.

I have the tank locked to the holder and you can't remove the holder without removing the tank, so it's pretty secure from being taken. I also find that most people have no idea what it's for.

For the lock, I used a Masterlock Coupler lock, whcih required a little drilling, but works perfectly. If someone really wants it, they'll be able to get it, but it's going to take some work.

Even if someone were to open the valve, it's not going to do anything if nothing is connected to it.

I'm more concerned about my fire extinguishers, so I remove those when I go to the airport.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scouter4life
Mine is mounted on the passenger side rear roll bars. Never once have I had it messed with (knock on wood) and I go with no rear windows or doors for about 6 months a year. I've even parked it at the airport for sevreal day with no issues.

I have the tank locked to the holder and you can't remove the holder without removing the tank, so it's pretty secure from being taken. I also find that most people have no idea what it's for.

For the lock, I used a Masterlock Coupler lock, whcih required a little drilling, but works perfectly. If someone really wants it, they'll be able to get it, but it's going to take some work.

Even if someone were to open the valve, it's not going to do anything if nothing is connected to it.

I'm more concerned about my fire extinguishers, so I remove those when I go to the airport.

Cool, thanks for the info, I didn't realize that nothing would happen if the regulator wasn't on it and someone opened the valve. I like you location, but with my trektop it isn't an option for me.

Quick Reply: People messing with your co2 tanks