Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Parts for better gas mileage

Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlooch
This is true. After a cold Canadian winter the gas mileage on the jeep feels like a smart car!

But I can see why it gets better mileage with doors off. Those things are frozen heavy.
Cold air is better, since it is more oxygen dense. The reason your mileage drops in the colder months is winter blend fuel.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by StrokeHerAce
I have a hardtop and take the doors off and leave the top on and it is an instant 1-2 mpg loss. I am guessing due to the "parachute" of a top. Top off and mpg is normal.
Same thing happens if you pop the freedom top fronts.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 AM
JK Freak

Rolling resistance is huge, but properly or slightly over inflated (still within tire specs) tires help the most. I am not sure, but I believe that larger tires actually have less rolling resistance. A "flatter" surface on the road leads to less sidewall flexing. If you look at the vehicles on the lot, they all have way bigger tires than 20 years ago.

The only thing self reported on here (and that has worked for me) is better oil in all friction areas. Chrysler isn't that concerned with MPG except as a fleet and on the high mpg models. Synthetic all around gains about 1-2 mpg. After that, just accelerate reasonably and stick under 65 if you can.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I find the sweet spot to be about 65 mph on the interstate. After that, the RPM to maintain a higher speed is too high, but below it, you're sacrificing speed without any real gains in efficiency. Also, as no one has mentioned it, try picking up a Superchips Flashpaq. I still have yet to make that particular purchase, but it supposedly helps.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you want better milage, buy a Prius....
Old 04-07-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Haha no kidding. I got no problem paying the gas. Being able to do what a jeep does over other cars is well worth it. Just figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Thanks for all the advice. First time on a forum and I'm surprised at all the responses. Awesome.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Lots of great comments on here... But the BEST way to increase your MPG's is to drive only downhill. Works great!!! LOL
Old 04-07-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

I did buy the Superchips flashpaq and I'm currently running the gas mileage program. I figured I have about 400 plus extra pounds on my Jeep with the rack and bumper etc. I'm getting about 17 mpg now. I just sold my roof rack (maybe 65 lbs), so I'm curious to see if that affects anything.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Repo503

Cold air is better, since it is more oxygen dense. The reason your mileage drops in the colder months is winter blend fuel.
Cold air is better for power, but it burns more fuel. The CPU is constantly trying to maintain a specific air to fuel ratio ("closed loop" operation) for optimum mpg's. Denser air means more air molecules, therefore, more fuel is needed to rebalance this ratio. Also, the CPU doesn't go into closed loop operation until the engine is fully warmed up. Obviously, due to the colder temperature, it takes longer to get the engine to optimum temperature.

Last edited by stlfan06; 04-07-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Parts for better gas mileage