Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Paint wearing?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint wearing?

Has anyone found a good solution to protect the paint on the tub rails when removing and putting on the top. I know I saw somewhere they had a cover to protect it but they were for later model jeeps. Any one using 3M film? Any suggestions? Or should I just accept it as another "Jeep Thing"
Old 06-08-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Default Forgot I ordered it.

Found this, "Lange" Paint saver for JK two door, part # 041-300. I received this with a large order from "4WD Hardware" back in April. Good luck
Old 06-08-2009, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have them too...thick "clear" vinyl protectors. They have yellowed a little but I am not sure if that is normal. they were a bear to put on that is for sure. make sure it is a warm day and you have them trimmed the way you want them. When the adhesive hits the rail it is stuck...if you try to pull it up it will stretch and deform a little. I did have to trim it because of that. The only other thing is that I did have to cut a hole in it to use the velcro straps that keep the hardware down and "connected" to the tub. I can honestly say I haven't heard anyone talk about this product, so I don't know if my experience is unique. Bottom line though they are definately worth it...they are thick and protect the paint from dings and scratches. I would say just my 2 cents but more like 6. Good luck and tell what you pick
Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Orangutan
Found this, "Lange" Paint saver for JK two door, part # 041-300. I received this with a large order from "4WD Hardware" back in April. Good luck
Does this cover the corners, as in the rear of the tub?
Old 06-09-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 0JdominatorK8
Does this cover the corners, as in the rear of the tub?
I actually rolled it out, not mounted yet, and they appear to cover around to the tail gate
Old 06-09-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Herculine them, That's what I'm gonna do when I do the rear cargo area, nomo worries
Old 06-09-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Orangutan
I actually rolled it out, not mounted yet, and they appear to cover around to the tail gate
Thanks let me know how they turn out.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Herculine them, That's what I'm gonna do when I do the rear cargo area, nomo worries

I would like to do that but it seems like a lot of work to prevent from the overspray. If i got that crap on the paint elsewhere I'd be livid.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 3M film

My soft top was rubbing right thru the paint on the rear edges next to the tailgate. I got this 3M film thru their website and it has worked wonders.
It has been holding up great for a year now. I would send a pic of it on my Jeep but you can't see it in a picture.
I think the 1 box was less than $10.
I got mine thru the 3M website. I tried to find a link but can't find it now. Looks like 3M want you to pay someone to do it for you. (bunch of crooks)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3mfilm.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	25301  
Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was able to find some of the 3M film on E-bay. Its listed under 3M Scotchgard paint protection film. It comes in every size under the sun. I did see some smaller sizes for $14.99 that would be enough to do a dozen Jeeps.

Quick Reply: Paint wearing?