Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The Outlaw Was Hit

Old 10-16-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost the same accident as me.

Originally Posted by shon
A young girl (17) ran a red and hit my JK. The impact was right at the center cap of the rear tire (drivers side). The axle shifted laterally about 4 inches. There didn't appear to be any body damage other than a scuff on the bumper and the fender is a little loose but as usual there was a nice coat of mud. Anyone have any experience with damage like this? I'm going to the shop tomorrow to discuss the repairs and want to be prepared. I don't have any pics of the damage but will try and get a few tomorrow. Is there anything I should look for?

Pre-accident
We were hit by a 18 year girl that was on medication from having all her wisdom teeth removed. She did a u-turn when I got right beside her and hit the drivers side rear tire. It messed up the rim and tire and popped off the fender. I took off her bumber, grill, passenger fender and warped the hood of her Altima. Her radiator and A/C condenser were messed up also. I took it to the dealer and they did a 4 wheel alignment on it and found nothing wrong. It spun the jeep all the way around in the street. Ours didn't shift 4 inches like yours. Best of luck and sorry to hear about it.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:48 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your rear track-bar frame and axle mounts are probably toast but as long as the frame is still intact the damage should be repairable. A direct hit to the wheel with enough energy to move the axle that far likely caused some internal damage to bearings and gears. Push for a new axle or at the very minimum a complete tear down/inspection of the internals.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like the wheel is toast and likely all of the suspension will need to be replaced. The gas tank and skid plate will need to be replaced. It is going on the frame rack in the morning to measure the frame. Not sure about the axle, driveline or gears yet.

The tire will also need to be replaced. It is a 1/2 worn Toyo MT and they only put new tires on. Not to excited about having one brand new tire and 3 1/2 tread tires. They are 33's and I want 35's so maybe I'll ask if they will use the cost of the replacement Toyo towards a 35" tire, sell the other 33" Toyo's and buy the other 4 35's myself.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
I think they need to up the driving age to 18. Apparently these younger kids don't know how to drive very well yet.
Currently Maryland is trying to get the driving age to be 18. I thought other states were in that process too.

Quick Reply: The Outlaw Was Hit