Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Our Jeep will be on SPEED TV's Dangerous Drives - March 24th

Old 03-25-2010, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found it interesting
I agree, some of these types of shows would help our sport
unfortunately most of what you see is the extreme, roll over, carnage type stuff, or mud boggin' where they are tearing up the landscape.
while these are fun to watch, they give the impression that offroaders are crazy or redneck
(I know some of us fall into one or both catagories)
I would like to see a series that shows different trails, treks, camping, trail cutting and land management, the things that make our sport so great. I think this show was a step in the right direction, but I want more!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a special a few years ago on a rock crawling competition in utah that was pretty good... When I was working at FSN Rocky Mountain, they asked us all for show ideas... I proposed one that followed competition rock crawlers. The idea was that the season would start following the teams as they build their rigs and ending with the competition. Even though this is the biggest off-roading state, they didn't go for it. They were looking for something, ahem, easier to make... where they didn't need to leave the office. LAME!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I missed this, when is it going to be on again?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

The whole show I kept wanting to tell these guys to come to Maine and see what snow is really like, because I'm sorry that was not snow :P When your digging out your doors to get in your Jeep talk to me
Old 03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I enjoyed it so much I watched it again tonight! I <3 DVR!

I do have one question about that discovery why was he missing a head lamp?

2 JK's 1 TJ Brute and the Discovery is shown getting winched twice Priceless
Old 03-26-2010, 04:34 AM
JK Junkie

Nice show...enjoyed watching it. Now I want to go to Moab !!!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuffaar
I do have one question about that discovery why was he missing a head lamp?
I was wondering that too. The guy driving the Disco seemed like such a goon sometimes. Not sure if I would want to be on a trip that he was the leader.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Apparently the story is that the Disco's headlight just... fell out... on a long faster section. It was dangling by the wires and got beat up, so they just pulled it. I'm not sure why it happened, it's not normal for them to fall out. Could be just because, that truck has had a long, hard life.

2 JK's 1 TJ Brute and the Discovery is shown getting winched twice Priceless
Still, what exactly is the point? The Disco had the smallest tires, and the least mods.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Haha I have much respect for Land Rovers! Was just being goofy man
Old 03-26-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre
Apparently the story is that the Disco's headlight just... fell out... on a long faster section. It was dangling by the wires and got beat up, so they just pulled it. I'm not sure why it happened, it's not normal for them to fall out. Could be just because, that truck has had a long, hard life.

Still, what exactly is the point? The Disco had the smallest tires, and the least mods.
My '63 CJ-5 had a much longer and more difficult life than that Disco, and I never had things just fall off.... I had someone fall out once. Good thing we were on dunes.

I like the Disco. However, they are expensive to repair and the Series 1 suffered from many electrical issues. Properly set up, a Disco can be very capable. Terrafirma makes comprehensive off road suspension kits for Discos, that while expensive, really step the Disco up several notches. Early Series I Discos didn't have anti-sway bars, lending them to better articulation. Their on-road handling was a bit unnerving... The old joke was that they would "roll over quicker than a hooker with hemorrhoids".

However, the fact remains that spending only a fraction of that money on a JK will yield equal or better off road capability.

I think it was pretty obvious that they didn't expect a difficult ride and bringing a mildly upgraded Disco along is evidence of that.

The excessive hype about death and danger began grating on me after a while. I earned my living flying from carriers. The shelf road didn't look any more dangerous than many rural mountain roads I've driven in Italy. Not very intimidating. My wife, on the other hand, would be terrified. She breaks out in a sweat just crossing a bridge.

Like WOL, I was wondering why they elected to use the Brute to climb the step first or to break trail in the snow. Would this not be a better test for the AEV JK, than riding in the tire tracks of the Brute? I’m an engineer, and we test to failure. That’s the only accurate way to find weakness in a design. My philosophy is that good enough… Isn’t good enough. Besides, the better weight distribution and longer wheelbase make the JK the obvious choice, in my opinion.

If they really intended to test the AEV JK, they should have put it out in front.

Another thing that I found odd was their driving in the snow in low range. That snow wasn’t exceptionally deep, being considerably less than what we had several times here over this past winter. I’m thinking those boys had little driving time in moderately deep snow.

What the show did present was that all off road excursions don't have to include extreme rock crawling. For many viewers, this is appealing. No small number of 4x4 owners want to enjoy the countryside vistas, rather than tackle difficult trails.

My regards,

Widewing

Quick Reply: Our Jeep will be on SPEED TV's Dangerous Drives - March 24th