Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Our Jeep will be on SPEED TV's Dangerous Drives - March 24th

Old 03-25-2010, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Brute and the AEV Test vehicle with the 6.1 both made it up without winching. Only the Disco and the Overland had to be winched.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

the show was interesting to watch. What I didn't like about the show was the announcer. Everything is so life or death with how he narrates. "they have to cross the river" "The truck is high centered on a large boulder and if they are not careful he could crash back down break an axle or worse."

A Hemi powered jeep would be nice to have.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Curiosity
not really what i was expecting. I hear moab and i think of rock crawling, not driving in knee deep snow. Way over dramatized and way too much boring snow driving. i'm pretty sure they said "dead" at least 15 or 20 times.
agreed. when we were told what this show was supposed to be about, i thought we wouldn't have anything good to offer them. then, they told us that they were following aev on this trip and i knew there wasn't going to be any rock crawling and that anything we had was going to be better footage then they were able to take. what i didn't get was why aev trailered their jeeps, i mean, pavement is where their kit excells. hell, i would never trailer moby dick anywhere

Originally Posted by tpm152
I was hoping when they came to the "wall" about 10 minutes in that the rest was going to be more of that...unfortunately it was like everyone said. After 15 minutes it was all snow driving which was boring... Plus since they were "running out" of gas, they didn't even romp on the hemi that much in the last half... Oh well
funny thing is, they sent the brute up "the wall" like it was the best thing in their arsenal and had the best chance of getting up. thing is, the jk unlimited with significantly longer wheel base, traction control and HEMI too boot, my guess is that it would have just walked up it. oh well, what do i know

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Did you have Moss Wash flash backs driving on the edge of the cliff in the snow? Still one of my favorite trips of the year...oh yeah the year just began well you know what I mean!
LOL!! i swear, we have footage of us ramming through the snow just like what you saw on the show and they call that a narrow snow covered shelf road
Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by gonegoannas
Hahaha I think we had many of the same conversations. Really brought back how great that trip was. Cool seeing moby dick on the big screen. I actually enjoyed the show for what it was.
oh, i like the show and thought that it was filmed really well, it just had way too much in-cab interviews and not enough wheeling for my taste. if anything, i found it amusing that they talked about airing your tires down to 20 psi like that was really low or that winching could be so dangerous if the line failed considering the fact that they were running a synth line. you would think that working so closely with aev, someone there would have given the show better info to work with.

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Ok that was decent. Would have been nice to know what "parts" they were actually testing. And the Land Rover dude drove me crazy with his "worst case is death" talk. Of course that's the worse case, including when I am walking down the street. Death can strike!
what i didn't get is if they were really testing out new parts, shouldn't that jeep be the one leading the trip. i mean, all they did was show how well their products do following a land rover and a snow cover trailed that was cleared by an old brute. or, maybe that's just me
Old 03-25-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think what people have to keep in mind is that... it appears like their intended route, with rock crawling, etc. was closed. Not their fault. I guess they could have come back to film another time, but with production budgets, timing, etc... Who knows? The producers had to do what they had to do to make the series.

So, they did the route that was open to them and "sexed it up" as best they could. It is called "Dangerous Drives" not "Slightly Risky Drives".

I'm also guessing that for a lot of the participants, it was a bit like "Survivor" A lot of footage was shot, and then editted together to make the show the producers wanted. A plot was created, it's not a documentary.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre
I think what people have to keep in mind is that... it appears like their intended route, with rock crawling, etc. was closed. Not their fault. I guess they could have come back to film another time, but with production budgets, timing, etc... Who knows? The producers had to do what they had to do to make the series.

So, they did the route that was open to them and "sexed it up" as best they could. It is called "Dangerous Drives" not "Slightly Risky Drives".

I'm also guessing that for a lot of the participants, it was a bit like "Survivor" A lot of footage was shot, and then editted together to make the show the producers wanted. A plot was created, it's not a documentary.
sorry, but i know the intended route they were planning and there wouldn't have been any rock crawling on it either. they were all easy to moderate trails at best. i'm sure the show did the best they could with what they had to work with, i guess i'm just a little disappointed that they worked with what they did.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

i thought the show was OK better then nothing .. True the trails they wanted to take wer closed .. So that must have taken away a lot of what would have been allot better . And all the obvious stuff about airing down and stuff was for people who no nothing about this stuff. It was a bit dramatic but what can you expect from TV these days ! It was still better than most shows !!!!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by R8R ROK
So Eddie,

What are the odds that Speed TV does a complete show featuring Moby Dick??

That would be just too awesome.
yeah, that would be cool but, we already have our own show right here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/wayalife

Originally Posted by smr426
i thought the show was OK better then nothing .. True the trails they wanted to take wer closed .. So that must have taken away a lot of what would have been allot better . And all the obvious stuff about airing down and stuff was for people who no nothing about this stuff. It was a bit dramatic but what can you expect from TV these days ! It was still better than most shows !!!!!!
as mentioned, even the trails they wanted to take were all easy ones. had they taken them, i seriously doubt it would have mad things a lot better. still, it was a fun watch and good to see more interest in off roading out there
Old 03-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I Watched it last night and for what it was I thought it was actually pretty nice.

The announcer was pretty dramatic but its that's what his job is to try and excite people.

If you have ever been to Moab you will know that alot of those " Shelf road" are damn right scary in the day time when it is 80 degrees outside. Add ice and snow to it and in the Dark and it would be pretty scary.

Its only my opinion but these really are the kind of shows we need for our sport to help it grow.

Most of these TV shows show guys just thrashing there vehicles , roll overs and carnage I think this was nice and realistic of what we all would and could with our jeeps and then Drive them home.

I will put my Flame suit on now

David
Old 03-25-2010, 09:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
I Watched it last night and for what it was I thought it was actually pretty nice.

The announcer was pretty dramatic but its that's what his job is to try and excite people.

If you have ever been to Moab you will know that alot of those " Shelf road" are damn right scary in the day time when it is 80 degrees outside. Add ice and snow to it and in the Dark and it would be pretty scary.

Its only my opinion but these really are the kind of shows we need for our sport to help it grow.

Most of these TV shows show guys just thrashing there vehicles , roll overs and carnage I think this was nice and realistic of what we all would and could with our jeeps and then Drive them home.

I will put my Flame suit on now

David
if they were on moab rim, i'd agree with you on the shelf road thing but the shelf road they were on looked pretty wide to me. still, i hear ya on this being the kind of show we need to help grow the sport. however, it would be been more realistic if the aev guys actually drove their jeeps home instead of trailering them

Quick Reply: Our Jeep will be on SPEED TV's Dangerous Drives - March 24th