Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Ordering from Factory v.s. buy from dealer

Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering from Factory v.s. buy from dealer

So I'm sure there are other threads that I couldn't seem to find on this... but can anyone explain the process of ordering your own jk straight from the factory? I have a few questions:

1) do you have to go through a dealer
2) Is it cheaper
3) how do you pay for it (i.e. send check to Chrysler?)
4) how do I begin the process

thanks,

Dom
Old 10-19-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

They will ship it to the dealer of your choice. Only difference is your name will be on the window sticker and you choice the options you want.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

hmm... so then you still have to negotiate a price? Seems like the dealer would have the upper hand.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WranglerJoe
So I'm sure there are other threads that I couldn't seem to find on this... but can anyone explain the process of ordering your own jk straight from the factory?.............
thanks,

Dom
I have not heard of chrysler selling direct. However, one can always have a dealer order a vehicle with the exact options requested. A dealer will "deal" better on this because they have less money in the transaction than a vehicle sitting on the lot. I have always bought at or below dealer invoice this way.

If one can indeed order without a middle man I am very interested and would also love to hear about it.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my first 2 JK's came ordered special from the factory..(as well as a couple of my TJ's)

I still negotiated a great price because the dealers still get a sale out of it.. typically they will still get their discounts and such because when you order, the dealer will put your JK in as one of their allocation vehicles.. kickbacks still apply...

yes your name will be on the window sticker - kind of cool.. and of course you have to wait on it to be built and shipped to you...

most dealers require $500 or $1000 deposit to be payed which will go towards your purchase of the new Jeep....

the JK I have now I bought from a lot because it had exactly the options I wanted, and was close by.... was also just as new as if I had ordered since it was still in transit to the dealer from factory when I bought it..

-Christopher
Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Worked at Jeep dealers for 7 years. There is no "order direct from factory". You are ordering from a dealer, who has the option of ordering one of their allocated units with you name on the window sticker. Bad part is that if the dealer does not have any of the Wranglers allocated for some period of time then your order basically sits their unfulfilled. This is obvisously not a problem with the current economic conditions, but back when the JK was first introduced it could take months for a sold order to get picked up. Just ask Wayoflife. When we ordered his first JK it took forever to get picked up by the factory, and we had the largest allocation of JK's in the country...

As far as price, it is essentially the same as buying off the lot. Go through a fleet or internet department for your best chance at a deal.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Junkie

This is how I got mine, was very easy, walked in with a print our of the build sheet from online, handed it to the sales person, put a few hundred dollars down and then waited. Best part was I got the price that was on the build sheet, which was a little less than the current pricing as it was between 2007 & 2008 build times.

The only down side to this is the wait, but you get exactly what you want. I had the dealer do a search and not a single one could be found within 700 miles that was set up the way I wanted it, so it was worth the wait.

Quick Reply: Ordering from Factory v.s. buy from dealer