Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Ordering a 2011 Unlimited Rubicon... Soft top or Hard top ????

Old 09-26-2010, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duel tops would be really interesting...in a Burr vs. Hamilton sort of way

My 94 YJ had a hardtop with full steels, My current 02 TJ has a soft with half steels, and my 2011 JKU Rubi I ordered in the dual configuration. As a previous poster said, you will save a shit ton of money by ordering both now.

As to the comment you made about them looking cheesy, you might have the wrong idea. Ordering Dual tops, means you get the same exact 2 tops that would come if you ordered them separate, it's not some weird 3rd hybrid.

Enjoy your new JK, mine should be here by end of Oct. and I'm counting the days.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had dual tops on every Jeep I've owned and I highly recommend it, winters and rear defrost/wiper go hand in hand just like summers and soft tops do.

One thing is for sure, I never regret getting both and having both especially when I sell the Jeep, I nearly always sell them with a soft top and sell the hard top later for more money, WIN.. WIN..
Old 09-26-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

If you have the cash, get both. Like others said, keep in mind that you will need a place to store the hardtop when not in use. It is big and takes up alot of space...

If you can only afford one or the other I would get the soft top...nothing beats rolling topless/doorless in the summer
Old 09-26-2010, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brickybobby
Hey man, just get both. At first I was just going to get a hard top on mine because this was my first Jeep and I wasn't too sure about only having a rag top on my vehicle. But the hard top is big and you need 2 people to remove it and it's not something you would do as it rains and clears up during the summer months. I got both and the soft top is not really all that loud and mine doesn't leak. It's also pretty easy to lay down and I like the versatility of the back windows coming off and what not. And when it rains without my doors I can just slap the top up real quick. But I still have the hard top for winter.

So get both man. And if you can't get both, I would suggest just getting the soft top.
x2

I only got the hard top when I bought mine, and was off buying a soft top 6 weeks later.

Go dual, you won't regret it.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RKracing
If I order a hard top and want to buy a soft top after... what is the best way to buy a soft top with all the factory hardware and appox. what do they cost? Thanks.
Unless you find one here or ebay, they can cost up to $1500.

Get the duels going in. Not doing it was my biggest mistake. I later bought a softie.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmat1980
If you have the cash, get both. Like others said, keep in mind that you will need a place to store the hardtop when not in use. It is big and takes up alot of space...

If you can only afford one or the other I would get the soft top...nothing beats rolling topless/doorless in the summer
Mine is under my deck on PT blocks within tarp on it.

I hear what you're saying about a spot, but I oddly had more than one person offering up their yard as well.

It's like having your buddies hardtop in your yard is the ultimate act of friendship.

...or maybe it's because my town has an ass load of wrangler drivers... My kid counts them, we easily hit 50+ most days.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dual top group def...might as well roll it all into the loan instead of outta pocket some other day.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

I bought my Jeep last year with a hard top only. By the time summer hit, I took off the hard top and replaced it with a frameless soft top. I don't plan on putting the hard top back on. If I'm out on the trails, I would rather have to replace a soft top than a hard top (think $$$). As far as security is concerned, leave nothing of value in the Jeep. I've left mine topless and doorless in the middle of NYC while I was in the movie theater. Also left a gun holster and a couple of NRA membership applications in the glove box...
Old 09-26-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default top it

Bro get both tops. its not a big deal to pull the hard top off a four door. My 110 lbs wife does it with a bit of help from me.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

Going against the grain but I vote for soft top only. In Souther California why would you need any top let alone a hard top.

Last edited by JayhawkJeep; 09-26-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2011 Unlimited Rubicon... Soft top or Hard top ????