Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Ordering a 2011 Unlimited Rubicon... Soft top or Hard top ????

Old 09-26-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering a 2011 Unlimited Rubicon... Soft top or Hard top ????

1) I had a 1984 CJ7 with a hard top.
2) About a year ago i ordered a 2010 2 door red rubi with a soft top for my wife. She has been loving it for almost a year now. We take down the soft top for the weekend about once a month at least.
3) So... I am not sure what way to go on MY 2011 unlimited...
A-hard top
B) soft top
C) duel top... or are the duel tops cheesy...I have not seen the duel top opened up in person
D) How long does it take to remove a hard top on a unlimited? one person or do i need two?
What is your opinion and why? Thank you.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Both

Hey man, just get both. At first I was just going to get a hard top on mine because this was my first Jeep and I wasn't too sure about only having a rag top on my vehicle. But the hard top is big and you need 2 people to remove it and it's not something you would do as it rains and clears up during the summer months. I got both and the soft top is not really all that loud and mine doesn't leak. It's also pretty easy to lay down and I like the versatility of the back windows coming off and what not. And when it rains without my doors I can just slap the top up real quick. But I still have the hard top for winter.

So get both man. And if you can't get both, I would suggest just getting the soft top.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Hey RK,
Duel Top means both hard and soft. My dealer tried to talk me into only the hard, but I like running the summer soft and the winter hard (I'm in NE). I'm looking forward to having the T-Tops for Oct-Nov and Apr-May. The hard top is definitely a two person job, and you should have a place set aside to store it. I have a holder for my current top with wheels for the winter months. Having two tops allows the tops to last longer. My current 02 is starting to show wear on the soft top and I am opting to replace the jeep rather than the soft top. I do like one of the Best Top soft tops that angles the back to follow the roll bar in the back. It looks great on the Unlimited, but the rear windows are not removable. Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removing the rear half of the freedom top is definitely a two person job - it's not heavy, it's just awkward. There are a number of aftermarket lift systems available that can make it a one-man job.

I guess a lot depends on where you live and how you plan to use your Jeep. My vehicles see winter use so if I were to order up a new Jeep, I would definitely order a hard-top or dual-top.

If you start with the hard-top and decide to add the soft-top later you can pick up a new or lightly used one for reasonable dollars and install it yourself. If you start with the soft-top ONLY and decide to add the hard-top later there is a LOT more work involved i.e. running the hard-top harness, installing the updated column stalk for the rear-wiper and having it 'flashed' by the dealer.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

All this info helps...... I'm just not sure. I love our soft top but then again would I really utilize the hard top... a lot of thinking to do.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Get both. I highly doubt you'd regret it.
I just took my soft top off yesterday and popped on the hard top for winter. A buddy gave me a hand to lift the hard top, it was easy, and it hardly took any time.
Just consider storage. I have no garage or shed and I'm looking for a place to store my soft top.
I love having both tops.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Kalamari
Get both. I highly doubt you'd regret it.
I just took my soft top off yesterday and popped on the hard top for winter. A buddy gave me a hand to lift the hard top, it was easy, and it hardly took any time.
Just consider storage. I have no garage or shed and I'm looking for a place to store my soft top.
I love having both tops.
If I order a hard top and want to buy a soft top after... what is the best way to buy a soft top with all the factory hardware and appox. what do they cost? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought a used Rubi hardtop, I wish it had dual tops butI don't have storage room. If you do I'd suggest the dual tops if you decide you want only one you can sell the other for about what it cost you $700-$800 for soft top maybe $900 + for hard top.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RKracing
If I order a hard top and want to buy a soft top after... what is the best way to buy a soft top with all the factory hardware and appox. what do they cost? Thanks.
If your going to buy a factory soft or hard top, the time to do it is when you order your jeep. You will pay more if you buy it after the fact. My plan was to buy a hard top and then get this (see pic) soft top, but I was able to negotiate $500 more for my trade if I added the dual tops.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TrekTop..jpg
Views:	109
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	90923  
Old 09-26-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RKracing
I got mine when I got my Jeep. Dual top option. If I had gotten an aftermarket one I'd get a fastback looking one like the one pictured above. I don't know how much aftermarket costs, though.

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2011 Unlimited Rubicon... Soft top or Hard top ????