Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo

Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
ha yep.. im red green color blind. like i said.. i would go with the set up i have if you honestly want a bikini top and want to travel with it. it costs just as much as a soft top pretty much.. but it looks a lot cooler.
so the door surrounds are something I didn't see in the parts list or any thread....blah....... that would be for the wraparound windjammer, but the sound bar cover should still be accessable with the freedom tops on... for just straps to go around...??
right???

I think I'll rethink things,,,, and go to 4WD.....

thanks
I'd buy you a beer if you weren't 1500 miles away...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
so the door surrounds are something I didn't see in the parts list or any thread....blah....... that would be for the wraparound windjammer, but the sound bar cover should still be accessable with the freedom tops on... for just straps to go around...??
right???

I think I'll rethink things,,,, and go to 4WD.....

thanks
I'd buy you a beer if you weren't 1500 miles away...
ha.. thanks.. and the sound bar cover has a slide channel on it that the wind jammer slips into. make it more wind, sound, and water proof that the other wind jammer that is only held up by straps. you cant use the door surrounds with the freedom tops because the top part of the door surround takes up space that the freedom panel needs next to the roll bar.. meaning.. you cant use the freedom tops with the wrap around wind jammer...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

ha.. thanks.. and the sound bar cover has a slide channel on it that the wind jammer slips into. make it more wind, sound, and water proof that the other wind jammer that is only held up by straps. you cant use the door surrounds with the freedom tops because the top part of the door surround takes up space that the freedom panel needs next to the roll bar.. meaning.. you cant use the freedom tops with the wrap around wind jammer...

it's a puzzle......
without seeing it....
I down loaded some installation instructions and it looks like there should be a wraparound windjammer for a hardtop.... don't see it....

headed to 4WD tomorrow...

thanks again
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit

it's a puzzle......
without seeing it....
I down loaded some installation instructions and it looks like there should be a wraparound windjammer for a hardtop.... don't see it....

headed to 4WD tomorrow...

thanks again

huh? let me explain each part.. that should clear it up. the door surrounds are a stock jeep part that is also used by the factory soft top.. so if you decided to go that route.. youd also need the door surrounds. the bikini top is the cover above the driver and passenger seats. the wind jammer is the "wind shield" part behind the front seats. the sound bar cover is just that.. a cover for the sound bar that contains the rail for the wrap around wind jammer to slide into. the duster cover.. is also referred to as the deck cover and tonno cover is the part that covers the bed of the jeep where your rear seats are. the wind shield channel is the bar that goes above your windshield that the bikini attaches to. the tail gate bar does the same thing above your tail gate. there are tail gat clips you need that hold the tail gate bar in place. there are also screws you need to hold the door surrounds in place that are like 15 bucks a piece and you need 4 of them. then.. there is the top prop which is just a fiberglass bar and brackets that holds your bikini top up and there is the tonno prop that does the same thing for your duster. that help?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:54 AM
JK Super Freak

huh? let me explain each part.. that should clear it up. the door surrounds are a stock jeep part that is also used by the factory soft top.. so if you decided to go that route.. youd also need the door surrounds. the bikini top is the cover above the driver and passenger seats. the wind jammer is the "wind shield" part behind the front seats. the sound bar cover is just that.. a cover for the sound bar that contains the rail for the wrap around wind jammer to slide into. the duster cover.. is also referred to as the deck cover and tonno cover is the part that covers the bed of the jeep where your rear seats are. the wind shield channel is the bar that goes above your windshield that the bikini attaches to. the tail gate bar does the same thing above your tail gate. there are tail gat clips you need that hold the tail gate bar in place. there are also screws you need to hold the door surrounds in place that are like 15 bucks a piece and you need 4 of them. then.. there is the top prop which is just a fiberglass bar and brackets that holds your bikini top up and there is the tonno prop that does the same thing for your duster. that help?
With all the research I have learned the parts, and thanks you have been part of that....
Since I didn't get the soft top with the Jeep the door surrounds were a missing part, so I need those. In all the tops I have looked at I still haven't seen door surrounds. Maybe they are included with the wrap around windjammer..??
thus I didn't see that piece of the puzzle until your post telling me about my plan has issues...

anyhow I am rethinking the entire soft top setup....
in the mean time I am getting the friends bikini top to see if I want to buy that part of the puzzle from him....

I will be headed to 4WD after work to learn more.... or what ever...

thanks
I'll let you know what happens...

edit..... more info....
Quadratec doesn't carry 2011 Door Surrounds yet, but If I get the part number from Mopar they can order them..... Yea,,, so could I..
at least that clears that up.

so now I am completely confused about trusting what might fit on the 2011, if the wraparound windjammer fits a 2011 and it doesn't come with the door surrounds how can it be a wraparound wind jammer.... Do they assume every Jeep is sold with the soft top.. if so,, wrong, if not then they really need to label the parts correctly, such as Wraparound Windjammer for factory Soft top Jeeps.... and Wraparound Windjammer for factory Hard top Jeeps.. not in stock.... etc...
this is one of the problem ordering stuff off the internet or with out a clear understanding of what parts are included.... Poor job on the suppliers side... IMO...
I guess another time were to much research is still not enough....
Ok I'm done....

Sounds like I might have to get the Jeep Parts Manager looking for a part number..... and maybe the part..... I hate to say it but the Mopar website seems to be...........................................

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 05-06-2011 at 05:33 AM. Reason: edit update
Old 05-06-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep. Just call a dealarahip and have them look up the part number for you and get a price quote... then look online for it and if its cheaper.. order them.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by horrocks007
The new trektop NX works as a bikini.

That and a Spiderwebshade, your set.
yep,,, this is what I'm thinking....
since my design is out the window,,, and everything I want to do is based off of softtop hard ware,,, why not just get the new soft top.... only draw back is it's delayed..

on a positive note the Jeep went top less for the first time... and I am demoing a bikini top of a friends from work,,, he wants $100... for it..
I see how all the surrounds come into play... and I also believe the wrap around windjammer wouldn't be for me... I need the seat all the way back.. I believe i read that it stops you from pushing the seat all the way back.... and when the hardtop is off you can see the seat is back past the roll bar plane... which is where the windjammer would be..

anyway I find it amazing the 2011 has been out for over 6 months and parts are still not out there to buy items for soft top configurations.... it's assumed you had the factory softtop...hardware.... seems there is enough change to question fit of a 2010... setup..

thanks for all the information you guys have given me... especially Nickit1981,,, and Mark...

topless for the first time...

bikini,,,, probably won't buy it I will want the door window surrounds.. this one isn't designed for that..

Old 05-06-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

ha.. youre welcome.. and oh yeah.. i cant beleive i forgot that part... the wind jammer and bikini set up sucks if youre over 6ft tall on a 2 door... my bad! im exactly 6 foot and i fit just right in it.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

ha.. youre welcome.. and oh yeah.. i cant beleive i forgot that part... the wind jammer and bikini set up sucks if youre over 6ft tall on a 2 door... my bad! im exactly 6 foot and i fit just right in it.
I'm 6ft with longer legs,, and always trying to get more room for the legs...
I go as far as taking off my shoes on long highway drives....

the new cars (yes cars not Jeeps) have really nice leg room... chevy cruze.... you couldbe 7ft tall and have enough leg room... the steering wheel even telescopes out...

anyhow Jeep soft tops who would have thought I would spend so much time researching without a purchase....

in time...
Old 05-07-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Freak

Default Bikini top

After reading those threads about bikini top and everything around it, you can get more confused then when you started reading. This is how I do things, maybe not the best but not expensive at all (150$).

I have the hard top and no soft top. I got myself the Bestop Safari top at 150$ (shipping and windshield chanel include). In the morning, I look at the weather network for possible rain. If it's less then 20% chance of rain then the Safari top go on and if it's more then that I stay with the hard top and just take of the front panels.

Why spend a crazy amount of money for all kind of top setup (bikini, windjammer, duster...)? Like one member said; "just take off the side and back windows of your soft top and hide the back corners and you have a bikini top". The idea is to keep things simple, no?

Quick Reply: Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo