Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo

Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
im not gonna lie.. i love my best top set up. it was the first mod i did to my jeep when i got it because mine came with a hard top and i needed a way to go topless without having anyone there to help take the top off. at the time.. best top was the only option for the jks. i bought mine right when they came out in 07. now.. i havent had any personal use with other bikinis.. but my best top hasnt done me wrong aside from all the other little things you need to make it work right. I didnt research it enough when i bought it because i was in a hurry. youre going about it the right way. i think after all was said and done.. i have just about 700 bucks invested in it.

My problem is I over think this,,, sometimes it's good sometimes it's bad.. but it does save me money sometime because I don't buy things I thought I wanted or needed.... drawback is I will think it to death and delay a purchase.... example is the jeep itself... wanted one since I was 19.... mom talked me out of the CJ's,,, rollovers... then they didn't make since with a family,,, although I did own a 88 Cherokee for 4+yrs,,, then got a 99 blazer....... well kids are in college etc... trips are mostly me and the wife then starting rethinking wanting a Jeep and it took me 1 1/2 yrs to buy my first wrangler.... Wife finally told me it was time... she works for a dealer and one of the stores is a jeep dealer and she slightly mention thinking of buying a jeep and they hand feed her Jeeps..... we put over 160 miles on 4 Jeeps before my daughter just said "Dad what's your problem just buy it"

putting my list together.... it's ~$400 ....

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 05-05-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit

My problem is I over think this,,, sometimes it's good sometimes it's bad.. but it does save me money sometime because I don't buy things I thought I wanted or needed.... drawback is I will think it to death and delay a purchase.... example is the jeep itself... wanted one since I was 19.... mom talked me out of the CJ's,,, rollovers... then they didn't make since with a family,,, although I did own a 88 Cherokee for 4+yrs,,, then got a 99 blazer....... well kids are in college etc... trips are mostly me and the wife and it took me 1 1/2 to buy my first wrangler.... Wife finally told me it was time... she works for a dealer and one of the stores are a jeep dealer and she slightly mention thinking of buying a jeep and they hand feed her Jeeps..... we put over 160 miles on 4 Jeeps before my daughter just said "Dad what's your problem just buy it"

putting my list together.... it's ~$400 ....

nice.. the gf just bought a laredo.. no kids currently... and wont be having any for at least another 3 years. shes in med school and dont want to put a damper on that... however.. we have 3 dogs that go everywhere with us so we needed a larger vehicle. Problem is.. i took her wheeling for the first time a month ago and now she wants a wrangler too.. and not a 4 door. i cant afford to mod 2 jeeps at one time.. hell.. every part i want/need now tends to be $400+
Old 05-05-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

nice.. the gf just bought a laredo.. no kids currently... and wont be having any for at least another 3 years. shes in med school and dont want to put a damper on that... however.. we have 3 dogs that go everywhere with us so we needed a larger vehicle. Problem is.. i took her wheeling for the first time a month ago and now she wants a wrangler too.. and not a 4 door. i cant afford to mod 2 jeeps at one time.. hell.. every part i want/need now tends to be $400+

the 4-doors are nice and if they had them in the late 90's that would have been my first jeep... test drove a 4dr although I liked it I thought it drove a lot like my blazer... but less power.. I didn't drive it off road.. the 2dr was awesome...

buy the GF a used slightly moded 2Dr.... if shes in med-school she won't have much time to use one with major mods... maybe.....
. once she's a doc... well then mod away....
Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

the 4-doors are nice and if they had them in the late 90's that would have been my first jeep... test drove a 4dr although I liked it I thought it drove a lot like my blazer... but less power.. I didn't drive it off road.. the 2dr was awesome...

buy the GF a used slightly moded 2Dr.... if shes in med-school she won't have much time to use one with major mods... maybe.....
. once she's a doc... well then mod away....
ha.. ok.. well "slightly" modded wont cut it. and i quote "I want a 2 door.. it has to be a 2 door... and I want big f*cking tires." it scares me really. not so much she wants a jeep of her own.. the fact she will end up making more money than i will and her jeep will be bigger
Old 05-05-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

ha.. ok.. well "slightly" modded wont cut it. and i quote "I want a 2 door.. it has to be a 2 door... and I want big f*cking tires." it scares me really. not so much she wants a jeep of her own.. the fact she will end up making more money than i will and her jeep will be bigger
my wife's made more money then me for some time now.... but she will retire before me by 5+yrs.... . it's all one bucket of $$$....

so far this is my configuration....
Freedom panels, Hard Top OEM $0
Bestop Wraparound Windjammer $139.99
Bestop Duster Deck Cover $124.99
Bestop Tailgate Bar $44.99
SmittyBilt C-Res Cargo Restraint system $109.99
$420
plus friends Bikini top.... $$ ?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

my wife's made more money then me for some time now.... but she will retire before me by 5+yrs.... . it's all one bucket of $$$....

so far this is my configuration....
Freedom panels, Hard Top OEM $0
Bestop Wraparound Windjammer $139.99
Bestop Duster Deck Cover $124.99
Bestop Tailgate Bar $44.99
SmittyBilt C-Res Cargo Restraint system $109.99
$420
plus friends Bikini top.... $$ ?
nice. im shocked you dont have the bikini top since you have the other pieces. do you have the door surrounds or no? i would assume so sinc eyou have the wrap around wind jammer. I have been wanting cargo netting for some time now and the smittybilts is in the right price range. I love how it looks. every other cargo netting is so expensive it doesnt seem worth it to me since its pretty much a "non functional" jeep part. do yourself a favor.. get a budget boost to put on on your jeep.. it will feel like you bought a new car. i dont know how much you plan on off roading.. but just for looks you will enjoy it. then.. when the time comes.. gets 33" tires. I couldnt justify buying new tires until the tires i had were worn. those damn sras may not be the best for traction.. but they last forever!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

nice. im shocked you dont have the bikini top since you have the other pieces. do you have the door surrounds or no? i would assume so sinc eyou have the wrap around wind jammer. I have been wanting cargo netting for some time now and the smittybilts is in the right price range. I love how it looks. every other cargo netting is so expensive it doesnt seem worth it to me since its pretty much a "non functional" jeep part. do yourself a favor.. get a budget boost to put on on your jeep.. it will feel like you bought a new car. i dont know how much you plan on off roading.. but just for looks you will enjoy it. then.. when the time comes.. gets 33" tires. I couldnt justify buying new tires until the tires i had were worn. those damn sras may not be the best for traction.. but they last forever!
I have a 2.5 TF lift... it's in my signature...
I know this top is a non typical configuration but that's me I guess.
I don't have the bikini top included in the new parts, and don't plan on the window channels, why? (and the windjammer doesn't need those does it?)
I plan on using my hard top freedom covers for the main driving I do when on road trips.... ie Colo, moab... etc. the Bikini top I might buy is from a friend at work.. depending on what it is,, I think it's a bestop, I may buy the window channels later...
So on road trips I am hoping the configuration I put together will allow me to do this..
drive at highway speeds with min road noise, Freedom hardtop, wraparound windjammer. and the duster cover for the back.
then when we are at areas of off roading... etc.. freedom panels come off, wraparound windjammer comes off... and everything is stored...in the back... with what ever. luggage, camping gear....etc, the radio (ham radio) CB is under the dash, stays dry and covered... all the time.. rain comes.... as it will while in the mtns of Colo.... etc... freedom panels go back on... and maybe the wraparound windjammer....

what do you think...

friends bikini top would be used for cruising around closer to home....

Jeep is currently not the DD... that is the blazer and my road bike..
Jeep has around 4600 miles and those miles are get to off road areas or off road miles, ... well maybe 500-800 miles of city cruising...

Old 05-05-2011, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2.5 TF lift... it's in my signature...
I know this top is a non typical configuration but that's me I guess.
I don't have the bikini top included in the new parts, and don't plan on the window channels, why? (and the windjammer doesn't need those does it?)
I plan on using my hard top freedom covers for the main driving I do when on road trips.... ie Colo, moab... etc. the Bikini top I might buy is from a friend at work.. depending on what it is,, I think it's a bestop, I may buy the window channels later...
So on road trips I am hoping the configuration I put together will allow me to do this..
drive at highway speeds with min road noise, Freedom hardtop, wraparound windjammer. and the duster cover for the back.
then when we are at areas of off roading... etc.. freedom panels come off, wraparound windjammer comes off... and everything is stored...in the back... with what ever. luggage, camping gear....etc, the radio (ham radio) CB is under the dash, stays dry and covered... all the time.. rain comes.... as it will while in the mtns of Colo.... etc... freedom panels go back on... and maybe the wraparound windjammer....

what do you think...

friends bikini top would be used for cruising around closer to home....

Jeep is currently not the DD... that is the blazer and my road bike..
Jeep has around 4600 miles and those miles are get to off road areas or off road miles, ... well maybe 500-800 miles of city cruising...

oh wow.. didnt even see that. ok.. after you just explained your set up with me.. i realized you are going to have real big problems. first things first. you cant use the freedom tops with the wrap around wind jammer. you could use them with the regular wind jammer. the wrap around wind jammer REQUIRES the door surrounds and the sound bar cover. if you dont have both of those the wind jammer will not work at all. I know you want to pull the trigger on this stuff.. but i would strongly suggest going with the wrap around wind jammer as opposed to the regular one. otherwise you will end up with this...

Old 05-05-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

so the door surrounds are something I didn't see in the parts list or any thread....blah....... that would be for the wraparound windjammer, but the sound bar cover should still be accessable with the freedom tops on... for just straps to go around...??
right???

I was on 4WD, the cost is a little cheaper,,, and they have one in ABQ....

guess I need to go ask some questions and see stuff..... not sure if they have stock but... maybe I can figure something out with them....
I am making this way to hard....

thanks
Mike

top comes off,,,, this weekend.... either way,,, it lives in the garage....when it's not wheelin...
and I can wait to get it right..

PS: I changed the font color of my signature... it was green and hard to see...

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 05-05-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was on 4WD, the cost is a little cheaper,,, and they have one in ABQ....

guess I need to go ask some questions and see stuff..... not sure if they have stock but... maybe I can figure something out with them....
I am making this way to hard....

thanks
Mike

PS: I changed the font color of my signature... it was green and hard to see...

ha yep.. im red green color blind. like i said.. i would go with the set up i have if you honestly want a bikini top and want to travel with it. it costs just as much as a soft top pretty much.. but it looks a lot cooler.

Quick Reply: Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo