Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo

Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Header bar cannot be folded. On Mopar it is affixed to the fabric.
I was thinking that... which might be ok...

sometimes I research stuff way to much.......
in this case I think I'm still researching.... and thinking..
Old 05-05-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xerofall
Yes and no. If you go doorless you don't need them. However it looks silly if you leave the doors on...

Plus, without the rear bar, the duster won't fit tight. You'll need to get the rear bar and two clips, yet another expense.

Definitely get the rear bar, but I wouldn't bother with the surrounds. how many people are looking down on your rig? Plus, doors off is the way to go.

Pat
Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the surrounds for Christmas one year, so its no longer an issue, but it does help with the fit a lot more, plus it helps keep the rain from flooding into the Jeep more than not having them.

Had I known all of this before hand, I would have just bought a used soft top from eBay, Craigslist.

I'm actually thinking about buying a soft top from the classifieds, get rid of the safari top duster jamer combo.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
I was thinking that... which might be ok...

sometimes I research stuff way to much.......
in this case I think I'm still researching.... and thinking..
thats the good thing about the best top bikini... you can seperate the channel header from the material.. and install it back above the windhield so theres no need to store it. same with the tailgate bar. even still... the bikini... windjammer... and duster cover take up more space than you think folded up.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickit1981

thats the good thing about the best top bikini... you can seperate the channel header from the material.. and install it back above the windhield so theres no need to store it. ...
Great point!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

good point on the Bestop setup....

like I said to much thinking going on.........
a friend at work wants to sell his Bikini top. So I might start there....cheap and it will give me some ideas and thoughts about what I might really want to do...
as for the colorado trip coming up in June.... I think i'll go with the hard top and just take off the top panels,,,, it opens up the Jeep pretty good....

the configuration I thought of is keep the hard top freedom covers on and take the hard top off, and replace it with these items...
3. Bestop Duster with mounting hardware (tailgate bar and clips,,, etc)
4. A Bestop Windjammer, WRAPAROUND Windjammer

then take the freedom covers off and drop the windjammer and there is a topless Jeep with the security of putting back together the top to get out of the rain..... This should keep camping gear and my radio setup dry in the back...

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 05-05-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The new trektop NX works as a bikini.

That and a Spiderwebshade, your set.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

good point on the Bestop setup....

like I said to much thinking going on.........
a friend at work wants to sell his Bikini top. So I might start there....cheap and it will give me some ideas and thoughts about what I might really want to do...
as for the colorado trip coming up in June.... I think i'll go with the hard top and just take off the top panels,,,, it opens up the Jeep pretty good....

the configuration I thought of is keep the hard top freedom covers on and take the hard top off, and replace it with these items...
3. Bestop Duster with mounting hardware (tailgate bar and clips,,, etc)
4. A Bestop Windjammer, WRAPAROUND Windjammer

then take the freedom covers off and drop the windjammer and there is a topless Jeep with the security of putting back together the top to get out of the rain..... This should keep camping gear and my radio setup dry in the back...

whatever youd o.. dont bang your hard top off a rock or tree... its expensive for a new one. i saw one get cracked on a tree a couple weeks ago. wasnt even wheeling it.. just backing out to head to another trail.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
whatever youd o.. dont bang your hard top off a rock or tree... its expensive for a new one. i saw one get cracked on a tree a couple weeks ago. wasn't even wheeling it.. just backing out to head to another trail.
freedom panels would be bagged and strap down under the back cover....
and also a spiderwebshade would help keep things in to...... I like the idea....

One thing with a Jeep once you start a mod no 2 are ever the same.....

freedom hardtop with wrap around windjammer should also be a nice highway ride.. which is an important factor to all this,,,, . with the back secured with the dustcover and a spiderweb...
Now to put that cost together,,,,
Old 05-05-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

freedom panels would be bagged and strap down under the back cover....
and also a spiderwebshade would help keep things in to...... I like the idea....

One thing with a Jeep once you start a mod no 2 are ever the same.....

freedom hardtop with wrap around windjammer should also be a nice highway ride.. which is an important factor to all this,,,, . with the back secured with the dustcover and a spiderweb...
Now to put that cost together,,,,
im not gonna lie.. i love my best top set up. it was the first mod i did to my jeep when i got it because mine came with a hard top and i needed a way to go topless without having anyone there to help take the top off. at the time.. best top was the only option for the jks. i bought mine right when they came out in 07. now.. i havent had any personal use with other bikinis.. but my best top hasnt done me wrong aside from all the other little things you need to make it work right. I didnt research it enough when i bought it because i was in a hurry. youre going about it the right way. i think after all was said and done.. i have just about 700 bucks invested in it.

Quick Reply: Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo