Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo

Old 05-05-2011, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
been researching the Mopar Sun Bonnet wraparound for the 2011 and it seems they don't have one that is link to the 2011.. and I wouldn't default that and early year would fit. not even the Mopar site as one listed to fit...
I guess I need to get on the phone........

another tought is a bikini setup with the emergancy top..... would like to find one with a back window..... or just keep watching ebay and craigslist for a OEM factory top.

either way the Top comes off this weekend .....
getting ready for the topless run.....

edit -- Mopar website does link 2011 to this --- didn't last night... website problems,,,
so saw another post by Mark ...... and I think he nailed exactly what I want.... this setup should allow me to go completley topless and yet have a top ready for those mtns rains...... and I think it will be cheaper then a full soft top....???

2011 Jeep Wrangler (2DR)
1. Mopar softtop Sunbonnet

2. Door surrounds.

3. Bestop Duster with mounting hardware (tailgate bar and clips,,, etc)

4. A Bestop Windjammer, WRAPAROUND Windjammer

5. A Bestop Trail Cover
On quadratec.com do a search for "emeregency top" and you should find the Jeep emergency rain top. It comes in a bag with 2 rain ponchos And has a back window for driving that folds up if you want it to. Its priced at $99.99
Old 05-05-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knotaddicted
When I picked up my sun bonnet the parts guy said it was ordered for a 2010 but it didn't fit. Didn't say exactly why, but just the top redesign doesn't work with the 2007-2009 sun bonnet. And I fully recommend the mopar one, I have the soft top version and it is great. Some pooling on the top from rain or washing, and some flapping, but I fully expected that. Still looking at the wrap around and the duster.
Get the top prop and that pooling problem will be no longer.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickit1981

On quadratec.com do a search for "emeregency top" and you should find the Jeep emergency rain top. It comes in a bag with 2 rain ponchos And has a back window for driving that folds up if you want it to. Its priced at $99.99
I have the emergency top... And I would not recommend driving with it on... Works perfect to put on overnight in case of rain... But driving with it on is a different story
Old 05-05-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeverStock

I have the emergency top... And I would not recommend driving with it on... Works perfect to put on overnight in case of rain... But driving with it on is a different story
A lot of people say don't drive too fast with it on. You're the first to say don't drive at all. I don't have one personally.. only have seen them. Would you say the material is too loose?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverStock

You may as well get a Bestop Trail Cover if you won't drive with it.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Sunbonnet road noice question

So I think if I don't go with a full out soft top the setup with the 5 parts listed would allow one to drive 5-6 hrs to the moabs, Colo mtns, of the world......etc, and giving one the freedom to go topless but the saftey of protecting the inside stuff,,, radios, etc...
Maybe a regualr soft top is the better way to go I just don't see being able to leave on the bikini (overhead) on and the rest down if I wanted... this is what drew me to the bikini setup in the first place.

So here is a question for the setup below, how is the wind noice at highway speeds.. It would be nice to have an enjoyable 6-7 hrs highway ride also... ??

2. Door surrounds. using the stock Hardtop doors... These probalby will allows be on during the longer road trips..

5. A Bestop Trail Cover
Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I think if I don't go with a full out soft top the setup with the 5 parts listed would allow one to drive 5-6 hrs to the moabs, Colo mtns, of the world......etc, and giving one the freedom to go topless but the saftey of protecting the inside stuff,,, radios, etc...
Maybe a regualr soft top is the better way to go I just don't see being able to leave on the bikini (overhead) on and the rest down if I wanted... this is what drew me to the bikini setup in the first place.

So here is a question for the setup below, how is the wind noice at highway speeds.. It would be nice to have an enjoyable 6-7 hrs highway ride also... ??

2. Door surrounds. using the stock Hardtop doors... These probalby will allows be on during the longer road trips..

5. A Bestop Trail Cover
well... its certainly not as quiet as with the hard top on... thats for sure. there is another issue you may run into going on a long trip with this set up... especially if you plan on camping. i dont know if you have a 2 door or 4 door, so im just going to assume a 2 door. ok.. so with this set up you obviosuly do something with the back seat. the deck cover from best top comes with a strap to keep your seat down when you fold it up under the cover. this leave almost absolutely no room in the back.. you can barely fit a small lunch box. so now your option is to remove the back seat.. which is what i do when i go on long trips. that will free up a lot of space for your stuff. now if you need even more space for whatever reason and you will need it to store your bikini if you remove it.... if you have a hitch you can get a hitch rack.. these are lifesavers if you arent going offroad. if you are.. they can be an issue on steep climbs and descents. also.. you will want water PROOF bags to put your stuff in on these.. not just water resistant. if you still need to more space.. you can go with a roll bar rack like the one in the link i will post... this gives you your clearance back, however.. it has a pretty limited weight capacity.

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=14997
Old 05-05-2011, 08:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

... Maybe a regualr soft top is the better way to go I just don't see being able to leave on the bikini (overhead) on and the rest down if I wanted... this is what drew me to the bikini setup in the first place....
Definitely, the softop is the better answer for that scenario. Or something like the Spider Shade, which can be folded up and tossed into a corner without all of the other hardware.

BTW: I drove all the way from Oklahoma City to San Diego and back last year with that configuration (except in a four door). My tires were pretty noisy due to scalping, which got worse as the trip got longer. By the end of the trip I decided to wear ear plugs because it was just too noisy. But, before the tires starting getting really bad (we're talking REALLY bad cupping) it was quite pleasant, even when I drove through several hours of very heavy rainfall. I used the Bestop Trail Cover at night.

Schnebly Hill Road near Sedona, AZ during that trip ...
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the 2DR.

first thanks again for all the replys and the experience you guys have with these tops....

My seat gets removed on these trips...
don't want to go with a hitch rack.... or any rack
Off roading alot... especially on these trips... I basically designed my Jeep mods around the Colo Mtn, Sedona, moab type off roading... not hard core or extreme ..... an exploring Jeep so to speak..
I take it you can't store this mopar bikini top in the back very easy....

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 05-05-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

I have the 2DR.

first thanks again for all the replys and the experience you guys have with these tops....

My seat gets removed on these trips... I take it you can't store the bikini top in the back very easy....
Header bar cannot be folded. On Mopar it is affixed to the fabric.

Quick Reply: Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo