Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo

Old 05-04-2011, 01:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im trying to find an image of a 2dr jk with a wind jammer but all I can find is thumbnail images and extreme close ups of just the the windjammer itself, does anybody have a driveway shot or a shot outdoors of a jeep with a windjammer thats not a white background thumbnail zoomed in on the top itself? I really want to know what it would look like on a regular jeep lol.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rrrrrrkevin
Im trying to find an image of a 2dr jk with a wind jammer but all I can find is thumbnail images and extreme close ups of just the the windjammer itself, does anybody have a driveway shot or a shot outdoors of a jeep with a windjammer thats not a white background thumbnail zoomed in on the top itself? I really want to know what it would look like on a regular jeep lol.
I can go take one of mine in a little bit. I have the complete setup including the top props.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rickyj
Do you have something against just getting the soft top? If you put all of that on, you are gaining the noise of the soft material without gaining the ability to open up the top easily. I have never really got the idea of boxing up the compartment - other than it looks cool. You won't even get the easy open air that the freedom panels offer.

If it is like Colorado, there are some cheap soft tops to be had on Craigslist. I got my NIB for $600 for an unlimited. Lots of people buy the dual tops and then sell the soft top.
I'm looking for a soft top that would allow me to keep the overhead area on. Why? for the glaring sun on the 100* days, If I get caught in a Rain I need something to cover the back area so the Radio doesn't fry.... looking for other ideas on storage and setup of the radio.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
well.. i have the complete set up of the bikini, windjammer, and the duster. Mine is a 2 door. I have the door surrounds, windshield channel(which you have to have if you want to run the bikini), the sound bar cover, and the tailgate bar. on top of all that I also have skid rows top prop and i just installed the tonno (duster) prop tonight and plan on putting up a write up tomorrow..

now.. im not sure if best top still makes 2 types of wind jammers. there is the normal wind jammer.. and there is the wrap around wind jammer. the wrap around windjammer also requires the sound bar cap. i have had both windjammers and by far i prefer the wrap around wind jammer. if you are one of those people that cant stand any moisture in the cab of your jeep.. this is not the top for you. the way i have it set up now makes it pretty water tight but i dont get surprised if i find some in there. i definitely recommend the top prop and the tonno prop though because it makes the flapping non existant and helps keep water from accumulating on the top. I can post pictures of mine tomorrow.
Good info... thanks... more research is needed........ one time budget for this... at least until next year....
Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Let me make clear that I have no experience with the 2011s, but I have read that there are differences. You should research those well.

You should read this thread, which pre-dates the 2011s ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...est-safari-top

Just a couple random thoughts based on other's comments above:

1. There is still no Wrap-around Windjammer for the four door. Folks have modified/and or force-fitted the two door Wrap-around Windjammer onto the four door. You can't use the Sound Bar Cap if you do that, so don't waste your money on it.

2. Mopar makes the best safari top. If you buy a Bestop, go ahead and save the price difference (it's a bunch) to buy the Mopar later once you find out how bad the Bestop sucks.

3. Mopar makes two versions of the safari top, both called a Sunbonnet (stupid name, great product). I've owned both versions. If you don't own door rails, get the hardtop version. It will have the gaps by the doors shown in the pic above. However, you really don't see those gaps unless your eyes can see over the roof of your Jeep. So, the unsightliness isn't really an issue. Obviously, if it rains water will enter there. If you have the door rails and softtop version of the Mopar safari top, you will be dry in that area--at least as dry as a factory softtop. But, you back end will be open. The Duster is a great product, but, as previously stated, the Windjammer will leave large openings (pic's in the thread I linked above).

4. The Mopar versions of the safari top have the header bar built in--no extra items required. But, the way that they attach above the windshield is different for late model years. I don't know if they've got application specific Sunbonnets for the 2010-2011 models. Check to make certain that it will work for you.

Hope that this helps.
Good Info,,, thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit

I'm looking for a soft top that would allow me to keep the overhead area on. Why? for the glaring sun on the 100* days, If I get caught in a Rain I need something to cover the back area so the Radio doesn't fry.... looking for other ideas on storage and setup of the radio.
Ok.. so your best solution and cheapest to cover all your bases is the following.

Get a bikini top.. mopar... best top.. whoever... and put it on when you want. You will only need to make sure it has the wind shield channel.. you wont need door surrounds or anything. Then.. for when it rains.. get a "Jeep emergency top." You can get them off of quadratec for about 100 bucks. Its a top that comes in a bag with 2 rain ponchos. It was a fold up back window so you can drive with it on. The people I know who have them say you can't drive over 55 though... but in my opinion.. driving under 55 is better than not driving at all. After its all said And done..you'd have a set up that works for you and will have spent around 300 bucks.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
Ok.. so your best solution and cheapest to cover all your bases is the following.

Get a bikini top.. mopar... best top.. whoever... and put it on when you want. You will only need to make sure it has the wind shield channel.. you wont need door surrounds or anything. Then.. for when it rains.. get a "Jeep emergency top." You can get them off of quadratec for about 100 bucks. Its a top that comes in a bag with 2 rain ponchos. It was a fold up back window so you can drive with it on. The people I know who have them say you can't drive over 55 though... but in my opinion.. driving under 55 is better than not driving at all. After its all said And done..you'd have a set up that works for you and will have spent around 300 bucks.
I just got done reading the entire best safari top thread that was link in a previous post and it talks about the emergancy top..need to take a look at it.... I like that idea also.. I also think the Mopar sunbonnet top might be worth researching......

Has anybody removed the hardtop and stored it in the hotel room while out of town,,, etc..... I like this idea also... Colorado mtns,,,, no doubt we will get caught in a few rain showers this summer...

thanks for the ideas..... it's a topic that you search on and find stuff but that -best safari top link wasn't seen before.....
Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
... I also think the Mopar sunbonnet top might be worth researching.....
There are also some other tops now that weren't out when I made my purchasing decisions. Some are made of a mesh fabric which provides relief from the sun, is much quicker to install and smaller to store, and is cheaper to buy. I think one is called Spidershade or some such. You might also check them out.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rrrrrrkevin
here ya go... just took these after i my tonno prop install last night...

Old 05-04-2011, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

I like that alot even tho I dont see what its purpose is, now take your doors off and take another shot j/k. That looks really good I sort of want one now. Yours looks especially better because of the tires and other mods to your jeep but im afraid mine would not look as good because it is totally stock.

Quick Reply: Opinions.. Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Summer Combo