Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions/appraisals/comments please...

Old 02-22-2009, 03:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here goes. No pics, but I did get a good look and a short test drive today.

The "33's" are really 285/75-16 Interco TRXUS MT's. Not bad, but not the best tire in the world.

The wheels are DC DC-1 (I think that's the designation).

I does sit high and looks to be a 3" lift, but I'm not that good at eyeballing a lift to tell for sure which it is. There did seem to be PLENTY of room in the wheel wells for more tire, though.

It drove great with the 285's on it. I'm guessing it was 'cause it's barely a step up from stock and that the 4.10's were pushing it alright.

The wifey brought it out to show 'cause I guess the husband was out to sea until Thur/Fri.

Not much wrong with it. The driver's side of the front stock bumper is dented in, but I figure that'll just give me more reason to make a stubby out of it, right?

Now for the price. The original ad was asking... ok, sit down... we talked about this, they have no clue (apparently) what the market is doing to the value of these Jeeps... $27,500.

When I called yesterday, she told me they'd dropped the price to $26k. I still went and looked 'cause, well, I'm a JK junkie even though I've never had one and I was dyin' to see one up close, lifted, and for sale.

So, today when I talked to her, she said that the reason she's selling it is 'cause it's "her" trans and since she's pregnant she's having trouble getting up in it and she wants something smaller. I offered to trade my '02 KJ (2.5" Rusty's lift and 245/75-16's) for it w/ some $ and she didn't say no, so that might actually work.

She did say, too, that her husband was really negotiable with the price.

So, at this point, I'm thinking of offering $11-12k and the KJ.

Opinions?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Swap + 5,000 for the KJ
Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

Well I don't know the options on the jeep you're looking at so it's hard to tell exactly what it's worth. But I did a quick edmunds look-up on mine. My 2007 unlimited sahara which stickered for $32K 18 months ago is now worth $20K to a private party. My guess is they paid too much to begin with and bought it with no money down. Now they are asking too much because they don't want to pay the difference between what it's worth and what they owe.

Edit: Just noticed on your signature that you're in Guam so that kind of throws my opinion out the window. I'm not too sure about overseas vehicle prices.
That's what happens when I do all of my lurking from the iphone.

Last edited by Denny2565; 02-22-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkkat
Swap + 5,000 for the KJ

Can you say that again? Are you saying that they should give me $5k?

FWIW, I'm driving a 2002 KJ Limited 4x4. It's loaded. Leather, Selec-Trac (PT, FT, 4LO), plus a 2.5" Rusty's suspension lift and the 245/75 tires.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Well I don't know the options on the jeep you're looking at so it's hard to tell exactly what it's worth. But I did a quick edmunds look-up on mine. My 2007 unlimited sahara which stickered for $32K 18 months ago is now worth $20K to a private party. My guess is they paid too much to begin with and bought it with no money down. Now they are asking too much because they don't want to pay the difference between what it's worth and what they owe.

Edit: Just noticed on your signature that you're in Guam so that kind of throws my opinion out the window. I'm not too sure about overseas vehicle prices.
That's what happens when I do all of my lurking from the iphone.
Your first thought was right, I think. I know they're still paying on it. Can't confirm how much they owe, but I can assume that even if they owe less than they're asking they probably just don't want to chalk it up and are asking what they "want" to get out of it.

I'm in a good position, though, as I'm not pressed to buy something right now, just looking and if a deal falls in my lap, then so be it.

I'll have to look up the price for my KJ and see what a good $ amount to add to it for trade would be.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, so I found 2 other possibilities. Both are 2007's.

Sahara Auto, 15k miles, 7/70 aftermarket service plan, soft top, loaded for $22,500

X 6spd, 5k miles, pwr windows/door, hard top for $21,500

I'm going to look at both of those (hopefully) tomorrow. I really liked the other one that I looked at the other day, but I'm afraid they'll balk at the $12k + KJ and highly doubt they'll come down off the $26k this early.

Also, found a 2007 X at the local dealer for $24,995 with "lots of modifications". Called the salesman who's been helping me when I stop in to look down there and asked about the "modifications" and he said he's gonna get back with me. I'll probably stop by to see it tomorrow, too.

Hopefully, this time next week (or maybe even by the weekend since I'm off on Thur/Fri) I'll have my very own JK!

Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Junkie

Not all 07's had 4.10s. Some have 3.21. Make sure you check.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
I think what was intended (even if it wasn't posted that way) is that all '07 Automatics had 4.10's... just as all '08+ Autos have 3.73's (except for the Rubis which have 4.10's).
Old 02-25-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would low-ball any of the JK's you are looking at....the auto industry is in the tank and it's a total buyers market! Just don't get attached to the jeep you are looking at and get the must have eyes! Be prepared to walk as there are plenty of other JK's that will come along!

If you are dealing with a dealership work the numbers out first get a final price and then HIT THEM about throwing in extended warranty, free oil changes, Jeep mugs, Jeep caps, etc.. If they don't budge.....walk out of the office! Trust me they will call you back in a hurray....they need that sale....if you still don't like the deal/price walk-out again and by 2nd or 3rd time of getting up and walking that salesman will have the Dealer Manager down showing you the Dealers Invoice of what they actually paid for that JK. Dealers will want to be moving product and deals can be had in today's market!!!

You are in the driver seat !
Old 02-25-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Default 3.21's

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
He's right. I was just waiting to jump in and confirm. My '07 Unlimited has 3.21 so if you want 4.10 be sure and check it out.

Quick Reply: Opinions/appraisals/comments please...