Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions on 2010 JK sport

Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on 2010 JK sport

I am really close to pulling the trigger on the purchase of a 2010 JK sport base model. My intent is to get into a jeep and mod it as money becomes available. Wheels,lift first then on and on and on. Just trying to get some ideas about starting at the bottom of the product line, things to be concerned about, problems etc. I would much rather by a Rubi but just don't have the scratch. HELP JEEP JEDI's.....
Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would maybe recommend a different route for you. Just advice

I would put extra fundage as it becomes available into paying off your Jeep faster. Best to wait until at least 36K miles before you do SERIOUS modding (gears, lift etc)

That way, if something goes awry you can/should be able to get it fixed no problem as your Jeep will be mostly stock. Youll save money in the long run by paying it off faster, which means more mods.

Up to you, but it would suck for something to break and not be able to get it covered when funds might not be so plentiful because mods voided warranty work.

Nothing wrong with a stock Jeep. It's like cheese, let it age a little before you start taking bites out of it.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jharpphoto
I am really close to pulling the trigger on the purchase of a 2010 JK sport base model. My intent is to get into a jeep and mod it as money becomes available. Wheels,lift first then on and on and on. Just trying to get some ideas about starting at the bottom of the product line, things to be concerned about, problems etc. I would much rather by a Rubi but just don't have the scratch. HELP JEEP JEDI's.....
Sounds like a great plan. Nothing wrong with pacing yourself, both to take it easy on the wallet and, as Rawb77 suggests, to keep as much of the warranty intact as possible. That's basically what I've been doing. ...

... My X (Sport) three and one-half years ago ...

... today ...

Photo by TORN.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

In the WFIW category... that's the plan I have in mind. I'm going to drive my largely stock Sport S through at least a couple of oil changes before doing anything to it. That way a) I can take my time and make good decisions about what I want to do to it, and b) if anything goes wrong with the JK it is more likely to be covered under warranty than after I start changing things.

If this means I can take light to modest trails for a while, fine. That means more hiking and a little less wheeling, with which I'm okay. It's all happening in the great outdoors.

BTW -- Mark, you and I have the same color on our JKs. Love the pictures.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Junkie

Look i agree with Rawb, the only mods im doing to my 2010 jk is very minor mostly cosmetics and on a side not just make sure you get a JK with the tow package, it will help you with headaches down the road.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep..jpg
Views:	66
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	85416  
Old 09-01-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jharpphoto
I did just that. Spring for a Rubicon. It's much cheaper and quicker than modding it yourself. Parts and labour cost too much if you can't do it yourself. I can't do it myself. I figure it'll be cool and personalized when it's done but it'll take forever and nobody's gonna see the gears and skids and lockers anyway. So if you CAN afford to just go for the bigger payments. Since I'm paying off my car, 2 quads, a line of credit, and saving up for a house I couldn't afford it. I still LOVE my Jeep and don't regret getting it, but it would be nice to have the lockers and gears already.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:18 PM
JK Jedi

IMO if you get the sport , I would put a few skids on it if you plan on taking it offroad any. the evap is a target for anything that can reach it or flip up and hit it. Just my .02
Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had my 2010 Sport since last November. I could have easily afforded a Rubicon, but it seems like the things that make a Rubi a Rubi are prone to failure. I read a lot of posts about the electronic disconnect and lockers failing. I didn't care for the super low gearing in the transfer case either.

The $10K I saved buying a Sport will buy me a lot of the mods I want. So far I've upgraded the tires,wheels,added a lift,new trackbar,lower control arms,Superchips and a winch. I'm into my mods about $2500.

I've got $1500 planned for new bumpers and another $2000 for gears and a locker.

With about $6000 in mods I'll have a sweet jeep with things a Rubi doesn't have,and will be able to do about 95% of what a Rubi will do.

Quick Reply: Opinions on 2010 JK sport