Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinion on what to do with spare Dana 30

Old 08-14-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on what to do with spare Dana 30

I've got a stock dana 30 with low miles and in good shape sitting in the garage. I figure I'll sell it eventually but I'm not in any hurry and I don't intend to use it since it was replaced by a ProRock 44. I got bored today and started to clean it up for a fresh coat of paint. After cleaning I started thinking about sleeving and gusseting it. I don't mind spending the time on it, gives me something to do but I'm wondering if it is worth putting any money into it or should I just leave it stock. I'm basically just holding onto it because I'm sure at some point a local Jeeper will in need of a replacement, whether permanent or as a temporary solution.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

if it is worth putting any money into it
Probably not, but:

Sleeves and gussets aren't all that expensive. If you are doing the work yourself, wouldn't hurt to have some fun beefing it up. If you can't weld, though, leave it bone stock. They aren't worth very much, so keeping it around for a spare for someone (assuming you have the extra room), wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just sell it to someone with a 2wd.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:05 AM
JK Super Freak

You never know, you might need it one day.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

People are different about this, that's for sure. Some things I wrestle with about getting rid of. I might need it, it's worth too much to give away or trash, maybe when I sell the vehicle, I'll put it back on...... I have a parts rack in my basement with various spares from cars past. I also have, taking up a lot of space, a stock exhaust system down there. Once in a while I get motivated and eBay some of it. I should take my own advice, but I would say get rid of the d30 how ever you can. Stubbing your toe on it even once is too many times. Build a birdhouse - all the time you put into "improving" it will make it just that much harder to let go for whatever insulting amount someone will offer you for it. Put it on Craig's List and go use your Pr44
Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

My 30 was bent pretty good, so not an option for me, but i keep thinking that if I ever sell my JK, I would rather pull my PR44, replace it with a junky 30, and find a new project for the PR...
Old 08-15-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by danmojo82
You never know, you might need it one day.
That's a huge problem for me, I keep too much crap because I might need it someday I'm working on it though.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remark
Just sell it to someone with a 2wd.
I actually talked to a guy recently who was interested in a 2wd conversion but it's been a couple of weeks since I've heard from him. Looking back at things it kind of made me wish I started with one, would make an interesting project. So I looked around just out of curiosity and the only one I could find was an unlimited with 26,000 miles for $24,000.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
My 30 was bent pretty good, so not an option for me, but i keep thinking that if I ever sell my JK, I would rather pull my PR44, replace it with a junky 30, and find a new project for the PR...
U think just like me, just don't send it down to where I live. Wait, if it came my way the wife would agree to a prorock. Second thought send that bent pos to coleman, TX LOL she wont let me drop the $ on our 08 unlimited.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

I can try and see if I can drive the 700 miles to pick it up. I've got a 2wd jeep, and I'm needing to convert it to 4wd. But I'm on a college kid's budget so I'm needing to do it with as least cash reduction possible. Think you could send me a PM if we might be work something out?

Quick Reply: Opinion on what to do with spare Dana 30