Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

one man hard top removal ?

Old 08-27-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one man hard top removal ?

is it possible i have a unlimited rubi ?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes. I use swing hooks in my ceiling joist and two cambuckle straps front to rear and just lift it up and then leave the rear window up and drive right out. Make sure the windshield washer line and electric connector are removed! I always put the buckles in the front so it doesn't drop on the glass. Takes about 15 min total.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geeper4x4
yes. I use swing hooks in my ceiling joist and two cambuckle straps front to rear and just lift it up and then leave the rear window up and drive right out. Make sure the windshield washer line and electric connector are removed! I always put the buckles in the front so it doesn't drop on the glass. Takes about 15 min total.

Do the same thing as geeper....After it's hanging up I add a bungee strap to keep the rear window closed....as it will pop up over time.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm...well if you don't have the hoist like Geeper and TripleJeep, than it will be a hard task to do imo. I tried it alone, and ended up hurting my lower back and neck. To make things worse, as I was lifting up from inside and moving back, I fell backwards from the pain and pulled the top with me. As it slid down I pushed it away from me and it fell and had some nasty scrapes. Only had it on for 3 days before I had to put it on because of a couple rain showers we had over the summer. All in all, wasn't worth it. BUT, if you have a hoist or a friend or two, it should be fun, easy, and worth your time and effort. I called my neighbor the next time I decided to take it off and it was easy and much more enjoyable since I didn't hurt myself. Love the open air feeling.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by e0987c5t3
Hmm...well if you don't have the hoist like Geeper and TripleJeep, than it will be a hard task to do imo. I tried it alone, and ended up hurting my lower back and neck. To make things worse, as I was lifting up from inside and moving back, I fell backwards from the pain and pulled the top with me. As it slid down I pushed it away from me and it fell and had some nasty scrapes. Only had it on for 3 days before I had to put it on because of a couple rain showers we had over the summer. All in all, wasn't worth it. BUT, if you have a hoist or a friend or two, it should be fun, easy, and worth your time and effort. I called my neighbor the next time I decided to take it off and it was easy and much more enjoyable since I didn't hurt myself. Love the open air feeling.

The things we do when we are determined to do them.........hope you healed up....
Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

You will have some tell you unbolt, step in the cargo area, put it on your back and do it yourself...

I have nobody to impress. Myself and a friend can do it just fine. It is too heavy for my wife to help me remove it. The previous post of damage done while trying to do it alone should be discouragement enough for anyone to try to "man up" and go at it alone.

Call a buddy, have a few beers and talk about how awesome your jeep looks topless
Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Junkie

I do mine all of the time, but I'm a pretty big guy, and just have a two door.
Though my 69 commando was as long or longer than the unlimited, with a steel hardtop, and I did that one alone too.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...hlight=removal

I built one of these and it is super easy to take the top off by myself.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This works well for me. Very easy install/removal. There's a few threads on this forum on how to build something similar. Look for "Hard Top Hoist"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Storage 2.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	29249
Old 08-27-2009, 10:18 PM
JK Newbie

I usually do mine solo. i dont recommend it, but i am impatient. one thing that helps is to have a landing area about the same height as the jeep. The first time i removed it i set it in the driveway and the transition from 3 foot to 0 foot had me hurting for a couple of days. These days I it onto a couple of saw horses.

Quick Reply: one man hard top removal ?