Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

OMG....I hit her bumper.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG....I hit her bumper.

I was at a red light a block from my house and there was a car in front of me. I think I was a little close and may have actually tapped her from behind. I did not feel it but it may have happened. She get out of her car and says..."you hit me" I get out to look. As you know how the stock bumper is made. If it did hit, it would have been the part that sticks out a little more. Shes looks at her bumper ...and so do I. There are a few scuffs and a little 1/4 inch paintless spot (she had a white bumper) and shes trying to figure out which blemish was made by my bumer. I'm looking....and came to the conclusion that no way I did any of it. First off...if my bumper did touch hers.....it would have had to been .5 mph or slower. Pluys any of the marks on her bumper did not coincide with my bumper. I'm thinking ..this chick is nutz! I try to stay cool and explain a little physics to her. LOL! Bottom line........I gave her my drivers liscense and she took down my info....saying that she probably will not do any follow up....but just in case there is damage she can't see....or whatever. I say......whatever lady.

Well a week later she leaves a message on my front house door...saying to call her. I call her and she non challantly says it is going to cost 350 bucks to fix her bumper. By now ...I'm ready to crawl throught he phone wire and strangle her. I say to her there is no way I caused any of the marks on her bumper.I say...what ever..and hang up. She calls back saying "don't hang up on me! If that is the way you want to handle it I'll go to the incurance companys and you'll end up paying more." Actually I don't remember what she exactly said...I just hung up again. What a kook! Now I'm wondering what this wacko is gonna do next. She does not have my insurance co info, and no way I'm going to let her try to suck off my insurance policy if I can help it. My next move should be.......?????????
Old 11-06-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

I would call my Insurance Co. and give them the heads up. Of course hindsight is always 20 20 but is a shame you don't have a picture of both vehicles at the time of the alledged damage. I know it doesn't amount to a hill of beans but I wish you luck on the outcome.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

What a crock of kaka...she had the opportunity to file a report right then and there and is now trying to say something after the fact. Burden now legally lies in her hands because she left the scene and "then" decided to later say you caused 350 in damage, which could technically have been caused by someone else after she left the scene.

next...
Old 11-06-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dispatch a team of ninjas and it will fix everything..

but I would call my ins agent and talk to him/them..

good luck with the wacko!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

contact your insurance, and explain there was no damage.
Even if there had been, she cant do anything without a police report.
Also, if she was in front, and left first, you could always charge her with leaving the scene of an accident. lol
Old 11-06-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

decapitate a squirrel and leave a note that says "you"... j/k

from a legal stand point... she could file a small claims suit against you. She would be armed with the fact that you got out of your vehicle and by providing her your information, you admitted fault. She has an estimate for damages so she says in the amount of 350.00. She will assess filing fees and should she choose to hire counsel she will ask for attorney's fees which could range from 750 to 1500 maybe more.

Worst case scenario... you are out a day of work and a couple thousand.

HOWEVER... it is unlikely that she will hire an attorney based upon the small amount of money. The case is flimsy b/c of lack of damage. She of course would have the burden of proof to show that the impact caused the damage and why she did not feel it necessary to have a police report issued.

I would take pictures of your bumper now and deny any future liabilty or responsibility as it is your word versus hers... oh and putting imformation like this on a public and written medium has never helped in case.

***This is of course solely the opinion of the poster and can in no way, shape, or form be contrued as legal advise, free or compensated, and any person relying upon said information does so upon their own free will and knowledge of the aforementioned disclaimer.

Good luck... sit tight... and most likely nothing will happen!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie

ALTERNATIVELY... if she does file suit... you could call and offer a lesser amount and basically call her bluff. She has no intention of getting those little marks fixed... she just needs cash... probably an obama supporter
Old 11-06-2008, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

In Tennessee, if you don't call the police at the time of the accident, you are just crap out of luck for filing anything later. At this point, I would not even say you "might have touched her bumper". I'm curious why she did not call the police when it happened? If she planned on doing anything, she should have done it at the time of the "accident". Tell her you don't know what's she's talking about. Just my .02.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07JKX
from a legal stand point... she could file a small claims suit against you. She would be armed with the fact that you got out of your vehicle and by providing her your information, you admitted fault. She has an estimate for damages so she says in the amount of 350.00. She will assess filing fees and should she choose to hire counsel she will ask for attorney's fees which could range from 750 to 1500 maybe more.
Ok this is fun, so if I were his attorney Vs. you as her attorney (not arguing, but literally this is cool, here) someone volunteer as judge in this thread excpet the poster and lets see who wins.

As Smelt_1's attorney ( that's just wrong) ....I am contending my clients innocence in this case. Ultimately the only information provided was a contact # and no insurance information which was fine by the Plaintiff because she could not find any real damage convincing her to call the Police and file a report of damage caused by the Defendant. The mere act of the Defendant exiting his vehicle to figure out why the Plaintiff was standing behind her vehicle is not an admission of guilt, perhaps a small Yak had ran between the two vehicles and the Defendant was simply joining the Plaintiff's investigation in a potential Yak/bumper incident.

We hereby declare this case to be a waste of the Defendants time and respectfully as the court for a dismisal.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
perhaps a small Yak had ran between the two vehicles and the Defendant was simply joining the Plaintiff's investigation in a potential Yak/bumper incident.
you and your Yaks.

Option 2 for Smelt.....NO DOUBLE JEOPARDY

pay her and then chase her down and hit her car. Since you paid for it already, when you didnt hit it, then it makes you even. (try to make sure shes standing behind her car at the time of the incident)

Quick Reply: OMG....I hit her bumper.