Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

OK, I just Have to ask ...

Old 07-08-2010, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would mod a vehicle I bought that was not yet paid for. I would be very uncomfortable even offroading a leased vehicle, much less modding it.

I bought mine new, but knew the engine would not cut it by my (yes, crazy) standards before I left the lot. However, I had always wanted a 2 door Jeep, so no looking back. I had saved for a couple years for it so paid it off within 30 days, and that made it easier for me to give it a heart transplant not much later.

I tend to keep my vehicles for decades, or at least until I run out of space in the barn.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lease a Wrangler ... that's crazy. ANY damage when you turn in you will have to pay for. There is no way you could ever wheel a leased JK. My JK is only 1 year old and the lease company would probably charge me for a complete repaint due to all the pinstriping!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

First Off, Thank You all for your input..All is taken into consideration

Yeah, i understand a leased Wrangler may not sound like the smartest thing to do, but it was more of a financial decision..Low down payment and lower monthly payment.. had shopped around for a good deal and was under the gun on my current lease

The wrangler will be my 2nd lease I have ever had..My 07" grand cherokee was my first..I now know that I am not a lease guy, I either own it or I dont..I owned an 86 cherokee about 20 years ago and even though the 4X4 was shot, I still loved it...My wife does not seem to get that concept...She loves the fact that she can get something new every 3 years and not have to worry about it breaking down..

Like all of you, I take pride in how my ride looks and performs for as long as I own it and giving it back to the dealer always bothered me.. I have always wanted a wrangler, but for some reasons chrysler never gave incentives on wranglers, Or so it was for me about 4 years ago when I was looking to get one. It turned out I got a great deal on the cherokee and went with it

My wife does not like the fact that the 2dr JK is not comfortable in any way or practical for us.I have had it for about a month already, and she has yet to drive it ..I told her its for me and my way of getting to work so there was only so much she could do... She has a Murano and it is basically the family car.. I am hoping that when I start attending some meets that she will warm up to the Jeep

I hope I did not babble to long but I just feel you guys would have a better understanding of where I was coming from and where i would like to go with my JK

Alfy

Last edited by Ride_My_Jeep; 07-08-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Muffins
I've modded vehicles, sold them, and regretted it. I will not be selling this one. DDs may come and go but the Jeep will be in my garage forever and hopefully with a hemi someday
took tha words right outta my mouth.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:43 PM
JK Super Freak

What is resale , I drive it till I can't drive it anymore , sell it for enough to put a down payment on another and keep on going
Old 07-08-2010, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Own it...Mod it...Wheel it...Keep it...enough said
Old 07-09-2010, 03:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

personally i dont lease them because I put miles on...

my Jeep is my daily driver so I dont plan on any major mods mainly because even thought lifted jeeps look and wheel a whole lot better they just dont have nearly the road manners I need / want...

I trade my Jeep in every 2 years or so.. so I keep it mainly stock, get excellent trade in values.. or sometimes I sell them to a private owner and get good money..

it really helps when you can show a potential buyer all of the service / oil change records, and the fact it looks great to a buyer..

even if you mod it... in fact if you mod 1 you may be better off buying it out of the lease and then selling it as mods done right with records to prove you kept your jeep up will surely help sell it...

the buyer will realize he can have a lifted jeep with big tires / important mods and not have to do them himself...

its just every buyer's nightmare of the person who installed suspension mods incorrectly or cut corners and they buy a jeep that is junk and have to fix the previous owner's screw ups...
-Christopher
Old 07-09-2010, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

You do not own the vehicle in the same manner you would if you simply had a loan on it. You need to read your lease agreement CAREFULLY or speak to the sales manager at the dealership. Some leases are very specific concerning the condition of the vehicle when you turn it in. Some will even specify that the vehicle must be returned with NO modifications to original equipment. You could potentially pay a huge deduction if you violate the terms of the lease agreement. With that said...a buddy of mine simply kept all of the original parts that he swapped out and then put them back on when it was time to turn the vehicle in to the dealer. P.S.....he replaced it with another Jeep and swore he would never lease again!!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buy it.
wheel it.
break it.
mod it.
wheel it.
break it.
mod it.
wheel it.
break it.
hemi it.
wheel it.
break it.
mod it.
Paint it.
etc.

etc.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

for me, as soon as i saw mine, the plan was to drive it till the wheels fell off, then rebuild it again, jeeps are for that purpose. as for mod'n the jeep, this place got me started on that

Quick Reply: OK, I just Have to ask ...