Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

OK, I just Have to ask ...

Old 07-08-2010, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, I just Have to ask ...

Being a Newb On here and as a JK owner ,I see everyone is modding there jeeps in one way shape or form...Obviously, its what jeep owners do

My question is those that dont flat own own there jeeps and mod up there rigs, are you afraid of any repercussions with the dealer IF And when you decide to trade it in if It's a lease?

Or does EVRYONE just decide to keep their jeeps and do what they want with them from square one.

I am doing some mods here and there on my jeep but hesitant on going full out and having to deal with the consequences at a later time.

I am very curious with this. I apologize it being a new question but I must ask.

Alfy
Old 07-08-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Default Mild Mods

I do mild mods. I try to do stuff that can be taken back to stock if need be.
My last jeep was a TJ and I sold it to a private buyer. I basically explained that is was cheaper to buy mine then to buy some's jeep and mod it.
That was the selling point that convinced him to buy it.
Though my plan is to keep it for a long time, plans do change so I keep it where I can sell it if I had to.
I also try to deal with mod friendly dealerships. (There are plenty of threads about Chrysler warranty and modded Jeeps)
Old 07-08-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I leased a truck once... ONCE. I cannot leave a vehicle alone and learned my lesson on the money and mods that the dealership got on the truck when it was returned after the lease.

Now I buy, or I don't... no more leasing for me.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the reasons to own ya Jeep and not lease it!

I buy a vehicle to enjoy it so if that means I mod it - so be it! I have modified 'every' auto and motorcycle I have owned and never had a problem selling them - but I am fussy in regard to upkeep and record keeping.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not paid for, but zero plans to ever get rid of it.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Default Own a business?

First, let me say Hi and welcome to the madness.

Second, I hope you own business, because it is not a good financial decision to lease unless you do for tax purposes.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

I bought mine, still making loan payments but those end soon
Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alfy, Welcome! My 09 JK is my 4th Jeep, but my first Wrangler. I've modded both my XJs and my WJ, and when I bought this one last August, all of my friends were taking bets on how long it could remain stock. So far I've done a pretty good job, but soon I think I'll be taking the plunge with the lift. Really though, the stock Rubi is amazing off-road. I'm able to get through trails with about half the effort of my WJ with 4.5" lift and 33s. That's a major reason I haven't had to do much with mods (the skid plates have gotten a bit of a workout though).

Like I said, I bought mine. Thought about leasing but when I bought it last year the lease options were just about worthless on a JK. The justification for a lease was that I was getting a Rubi so figured I could go through the lease term without mods. As it is now, I have a lift in my garage that I still haven't installed (waiting for another road trip and the possibility of the brake-line recall before I do so). I have done some minor mods though, that just make the drivability and comfort a little better (headed seats, programmer, etc.) but everything I've done so far can be taken off if I need to or sell it.

Also, like 69spike says, the JKs hold their resale value really well. I just refinanced mine last month and the loan officer had to look up the value. The bank now says it's worth about $4k more than I owe on it already!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Junkie

I've modded vehicles, sold them, and regretted it. I will not be selling this one. DDs may come and go but the Jeep will be in my garage forever and hopefully with a hemi someday
Old 07-08-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm sure there are some people that mod leased Jeeps, but I think that's foolish. Buy it (loan or cash outright), mod it, and keep it forever. Mine is going to last a long time, because in 6 years it will be my oldest son's first vehicle, and 3 years after that hopefully it will be youngest son's first vehicle. So as long it's not run over by someone, we'll have it a minimum of 12 years.

Now, the money to mod is different problem....

Quick Reply: OK, I just Have to ask ...