Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Oil consumption "fix"

Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wheelnD

Who is telling you that a Zurich warranty is only good at a dealer! That is absolutely nor correct. Zurich warranties are good at any certified repair facility in the US. If you still have your paperwork from when you bought it, it should be in writing somewhere on the paperwork. Also, did the dealer sell you the warranty or did you buy it yourself from an outside source?
I bought my vehicle in salt lake city thru a dealer. I bought the warranty at the time of purchase thru them. I live in Montana tho. So it's not the same dealer but yes I bought it thru a dealer. The person who sold me the Zurich contract told me that any repair work must be done at a jeep dodge Chrysler dealership. Ugh! If only i knew i could have taken it to a really good local mechanic that is a good friend of mine as well that knows vehicles like the back of his hand. That sucks! B.s. Antics of the good old jeep dealer. I even called Zurich and they said it had to go thru a dealer too. O well.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sringer
Thanks! They need it tomoro afternoon so it can have enough time to sit. Then first thing Tuesday morning they will rip the engine out. Then tear it apart. Then they will call the adjustor from Zurich an have him come look (takes 2 days) then assuming he approves the claim. They will order the parts they need (takes 3 days) then they will install the new parts or new motor. Then they will have it back to me
Any word on the exploratory surgery? I'm hoping for the best for you, and that the dealer lets you know every detail of their findings.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by zeppo

Any word on the exploratory surgery? I'm hoping for the best for you, and that the dealer lets you know every detail of their findings.
Well. I know that Zurich came up and looked at the problem the other day. But no one ever called me saying it was accepted or denied. They found out that I had bad rings and seals. And that some gaskets were shot as well. Since they haven't called I'm guessing it's approved? It should be another week or so till the jeep is back in my hands. And when it is...on goes the lod 3rd gen rear bumper.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that it's moving along and nothing was out of the ordinary. Well, at least no mention of backwards rods or misaligned piston rings that were some of the hilarious assembly errors for a few oil consumption issues.

Good luck with the rest of the process. And congrats on having mods staged for immediate install after the repairs.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Just wondering, coming from the LX world where everyone swears by the oil catch can to prevent blow by from entering the intake and to reduce knock retard (great for boosted applications), would this be an option on the JK? Not only could you prevent the oil entering the intake, the amount of blow by could be measured and recorded.
Here is one example, but you can find them pretty cheap...
http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...ank?category=4
Old 06-24-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by samsquanch
Just wondering, coming from the LX world where everyone swears by the oil catch can to prevent blow by from entering the intake and to reduce knock retard (great for boosted applications), would this be an option on the JK? Not only could you prevent the oil entering the intake, the amount of blow by could be measured and recorded.
Here is one example, but you can find them pretty cheap...
http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...ank?category=4
I think someone on here tried that, and not much oil ever collected in the can.
It was a homemade device, so that may have been a factor.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by zeppo
Glad to hear that it's moving along and nothing was out of the ordinary. Well, at least no mention of backwards rods or misaligned piston rings that were some of the hilarious assembly errors for a few oil consumption issues.

Good luck with the rest of the process. And congrats on having mods staged for immediate install after the repairs.
haha i know. as soon as the jeep comes back the bumper goes on. then next friday ill have the jeep paid off. then in two weeks ill have my arb front bumper and either smittybily xrc8comp or warn 9.5ti winch. then gears and diff covers and aev 3.5 premuim. all within this summer!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Junkie

Just found out...no new engine...but they put new rings and seals and gaskets in the current one. I should be good from here.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Seems like it would cost the dealer less to just swap the engine and send the old one off to a remanufacture program?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by baconrocket
Seems like it would cost the dealer less to just swap the engine and send the old one off to a remanufacture program?
I completely agree. O well. Not my pretty penny.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption "fix"