Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Oil consumption "fix"

Old 05-06-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then the sucky thing about lemon laws....I bought the vehicle in salt lake city. I live in Montana. Montana lemon law says it covers any vehicle purchased in Montana.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

holy crap!!!! I gotta a 2010 with about 4400 miles on it, I am going to check my oil right now!!! hey....how do you find out what warrenty you have...I cant remember what I purchased????
Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2xcapeIN
holy crap!!!! I gotta a 2010 with about 4400 miles on it, I am going to check my oil right now!!! hey....how do you find out what warrenty you have...I cant remember what I purchased????
With 4,400 it would still be under factory. But if you purchased an aftermarket you should have paperwork on it.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sringer
And I am good family friends with the dealership owner. So that's not a problem. But because it's aftermarket warranty he can't do anything about it for me.
Well at least you have friends in high places! Looks like you'll have to go through the paces. At any rate, good luck.

Originally Posted by 2xcapeIN
Even if you have an aftermarket, it is only above and beyond the factory warranty. Make sure that you are not paying for "warranty time" while the factory warranty is still valid.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bucko

Well at least you have friends in high places! Looks like you'll have to go through the paces. At any rate, good luck.
thanks! I have a feeling I'm gonna need it...
Old 05-06-2011, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

They put silicone around the PCV valve? I'm sure it sucked in some sealant and that is why you are having issues with driveability. If the PCV valve did not fix your oil in the intake problem, you have too much blow by in the engine. That dealership suXx nuts and I suggest you take it somewhere else (after they fix what they screwed up in your PCV system). BTW, placing silicone around the PCV valve could be considered an illegal modification of the emissions system and if you are in California, would fail an emissions test with an attentive SMOG tech.

You should be able to take your vehicle to a reputable ma and pa shop since you have a non-chrysler warranty.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

I think I read somewhere in this forum several months ago that they had the same problem with oil consumption and after the dealer tore down the engine they found the piston rings had been installed backwards or incorrectly.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by thrshr01
They put silicone around the PCV valve? I'm sure it sucked in some sealant and that is why you are having issues with driveability. If the PCV valve did not fix your oil in the intake problem, you have too much blow by in the engine. That dealership suXx nuts and I suggest you take it somewhere else (after they fix what they screwed up in your PCV system). BTW, placing silicone around the PCV valve could be considered an illegal modification of the emissions system and if you are in California, would fail an emissions test with an attentive SMOG tech.

You should be able to take your vehicle to a reputable ma and pa shop since you have a non-chrysler warranty.
They only work thru a Chrysler dealer. I tried. I inured putting silicone in there would be bad. But it's Montana. They don't care. I've been here 4+ hrs now. Letting them fix what they screwed. They claim that when they did the compression test it messed up a spark plug wire. So now they are replacing that wire. Then I should be good. If it is still messed up ten I'll show them your post. Thanks for this post by the way. It will be good to have him read
Old 05-06-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by clearblue
I think I read somewhere in this forum several months ago that they had the same problem with oil consumption and after the dealer tore down the engine they found the piston rings had been installed backwards or incorrectly.
That has been found in some cases. Also, connecting rods have been found installed backwards, preventing the major thrust side of the cylinder from getting adequate lubrication.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by clearblue
Originally Posted by ronjenx

That has been found in some cases. Also, connecting rods have been found installed backwards, preventing the major thrust side of the cylinder from getting adequate lubrication.
I told them all of this. They told me that if this was a problem Chrysler would have a recall out for it. I said I know, they should. He said, that's not your problem.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption "fix"