Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Oil consumption "fix"

Old 05-06-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption "fix"

Hey everyone,

I have been battling with my local dealer trying to get my oil consumption taken care of. They did an oil consumption test, verified I was consuming. Then replaced the pcv valve claiming that was my only problem. I still was burning a quart in 300 miles. Brought it back. They did a fresh oil change/consumption test To verify again. Then they said they would rip apart my engine and figure it out. I came to get it today and all they did was put sealant around the pcv valve. Claiming oil was still getting into my intake. I said ok whatever and left. I went to drive off the lot and my jeep felt like it was about to stall when at a stoplight. Then when I tried to go it felt like it had no back pressure and my check engine light came on multiple times. It vibrated really bad and felt like stalling again. My exhaust sounded different too. So now my jeep is back at the dealer....
Old 05-06-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate the dealer...it's never a one deal. They always "fix" the problem and I'm back the next day. Wish there was another warranty shop or a good dealership in my area. Or anywhere lol!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
I hate the dealer...it's never a one deal. They always "fix" the problem and I'm back the next day. Wish there was another warranty shop or a good dealership in my area. Or anywhere lol!
There is an amazing local mom and pop shop here. They do all my install stuff. He did my sleeves and gussets and everything. They are pro. Very reasonably priced to. And I wheel with the guy too. They are ase certified and everything. But they arnt a dealer so Zurich (aftermarket warranty) won't deal with em
Old 05-06-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been a member of this forum for months before i bought my Jk and since then, it seems like this topic keeps poping up.

I would have bought a JK anyway but may have waited that 1 extra model year before buying it. I can't believe how crappy the 3.8 is. I don't know if they have fixed anything at all through the years but it makes me wonder.

I have 4,500 miles and haven't "burned" a drop but still you have to wonder how Chrysler thinks that consuming oil at those ammounts in any modern engine is acceptable.

I don't mind having a problem with a new car, i understand nothing is perfect, but the pain is the "NEVER fixed the first time". And that it does cost the individual time and money while the car is in the shop.

Good luck. I hate hearing that they just don't swap the block with a rebuild given that EVEYONE knows this is an issue.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

They gave me the keys. told me it was a bad spark plug and that I was good to go. I made it not even a mile. It was still doing the same thing and the check engine light came on three times. Back at the dealer again!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see that you're in Montana so dealers may be far and wide. I would try another dealer if that is an option.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am assuming your still under factory warranty? I would look into federal lemon laws.

Write a letter to the owner of the dealership stating your frustration in a non threatening manner. If the issue isn't resolved by this next trip then contact Jeep as in to ask them how you should proceed in resolving your issue.

I hope it wouldn't have to go to those levels or even further but at that point, you have the right to lemon laws regarding your vehicle. I'm sure at that point they'd just replace your whole engine.

Jks are not cheap and its your money that you put into owning it. When it comes down to it, you need to protect your purchase.

Also, You can give them a few sugestions where to stick their PCV valve.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by benny
I see that you're in Montana so dealers may be far and wide. I would try another dealer if that is an option.
Montana isn't as rural as you think. There are like 5 or so near me.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bucko
I am assuming your still under factory warranty? I would look into federal lemon laws.

Write a letter to the owner of the dealership stating your frustration in a non threatening manner. If the issue isn't resolved by this next trip then contact Jeep as in to ask them how you should proceed in resolving your issue.

I hope it wouldn't have to go to those levels or even further but at that point, you have the right to lemon laws regarding your vehicle. I'm sure at that point they'd just replace your whole engine.

Jks are not cheap and its your money that you put into owning it. When it comes down to it, you need to protect your purchase.

I'm not under factory warranty. I purchased the Zurich 100% comprehensive
Old 05-06-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bucko

And I am good family friends with the dealership owner. So that's not a problem. But because it's aftermarket warranty he can't do anything about it for me.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption "fix"