Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Oil consumption

Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I asked my dealer about the 3 liters of oil I lose-burn ? And he told me I could do a oil consumption test . I said ok . Then went in the next week to get topped off as per his instructions . I was down 3/4 off a liter . Then he says that he looked into it for me and Chrysler says its normal to USE a liter every 1400kms ? That's all most 4 liters per 5000kms ( not miles) Canada and all . So normal to use 4 liters per oil change just sounds wrong to me ? That's all most a oil change in itself ? How can this be right ? Do u think he's telling me The truth ?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Their use of the word normal is what upsets a lot of people. It's not normal at all. Most engines don't consume a noticeable amount of oil.

What they really mean is, they won't do anything about it until it reaches that level. It's not just Jeep. It's an industry standard.
Someone drew an arbitrary line many decades ago, and they all jumped in. It's a way to avoid chasing small oil consumption issues.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Freak

He's talking out his ass. Idc what vehicle it is it's suppose to have the same amount of oil in it when you drain it. Maybe a half court to 3/4 of a quart low.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkkrawler
He's talking out his ass. Idc what vehicle it is it's suppose to have the same amount of oil in it when you drain it. Maybe a half court to 3/4 of a quart low.
That's what I think to . I've owned like 15 cars -trucks and none have ever gone through oil like my jeep . Even my old 91 gmc jimmy that smoked every time u stared it ? With over 300 thousand Kms . Worst part he drained my brand new synthetic oil . And did a oil change and charged me 60$ to put me on the program ?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I started another thread like this a few weeks ago (and was informed there were other threads like it).
I checked my oil on a Sunday and was about half way down on the stick. It was maybe 3-4 days later when I stopped by a shop to have them add some oil and they said "sir you have NO oil showing on the dip stick". I was like WTF??? Where did it go??? No drips in my garage, no smoking, no nothing.
I was told by other members to have a test done. One day when I get the time I will, but for now I just check it every 4-5 days, which I've never had to do like that with any vehicle I've ever owned in my life and sympathize with you. But still- I love my Jeep.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine never drips or smokes either ? Strange ? Still like the jeep as well . And cheers to u . Maybe I'll run into u someplace buying OIL ! Lol
Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark73
Mine never drips or smokes either ? Strange ? Still like the jeep as well . And cheers to u . Maybe I'll run into u someplace buying OIL ! Lol
MARK! Didn't even realize this was you til now- never looked at the name.
Yea apparently it's not totally a "Jeep" thing but more of a "few Jeeps here and there" thing. I have a buddy in Atlanta that has had a 2009 and now a 2012 JK in the past year and he has had zero problems with this but I won't go past a week without checking my oil now. It's the oddest thing I've ever seen man. I don't understand it at all but now I just go with it.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

He's guideline of normal is extensive, and there's no such think as a vehicle not burning off oil between normal oil changes. Mines currently burning just over 2 liters per oil change which isn't good but then I never used 5-20 synthetic oil in a vehicle before so I'm gonna try thicker oil next time. I think normal shouldn't burn more then 1 liter per oil change.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpoonJK
He's guideline of normal is extensive, and there's no such think as a vehicle not burning off oil between normal oil changes. Mines currently burning just over 2 liters per oil change which isn't good but then I never used 5-20 synthetic oil in a vehicle before so I'm gonna try thicker oil next time. I think normal shouldn't burn more then 1 liter per oil change.
Yah I tried 5w30 and no change that I could tell . And most of my other vehicles went through around a liter or so at the most between oil changes . Always change at 5000 Kms . I'd really just like to know where it's going ? Past rings ? No smoke out tailpipe ? Dealer is changing my cats next week cause they chatter - rattle like crazy . Makes me wonder why ? I'm no mechanic although I've been fixing and servicing my own cars and trucks for 25 years and have a general concept of how engines work. But not sure what's going on here ? And not going drives me crazy!!! Just the way I am have to figure things out and try to fix it , Cheers :-)
Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 PM
JK Newbie

The 3.8 just seems to burn oil, 5-20is light to get the fuel mileage rating. mine(08 rubi 6 speed) burns a quart every 3k. i was going to try 5-30 but as said no change?

Quick Reply: Oil consumption