Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Oil change fiasco

Old 10-23-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change fiasco

When I bought my jeep I also did the lifetime oil chage deal. So yesterday got to the dealership for my 2012's 1st oil change at 850 miles,, got in and out just like that... got down the road a piece and smelled oil burning off,, though oh well they must have spilled when putting oil back in. Got to my next stop about 10 miles from the shop and looked under the jeep to find oil puddleing in about 5 spots . I checked the drain plug but it was appearant the oil was coming from above. Checked the level and headed back to the dealership. Got right in again and found that behind the oil filter was a wire loom with a white tag on it that got between the filter and the block. Removed that, put the filter back on did a degreasing and headed out.
Got about a mile down the road to get fuel,, got out again to find oil running out again . Back to the dealership and told them to try a new filter. Turnes out that the gasket had been cut. Probably by that stupid plastic tag that got cought the first time. So a new filter and another degreasing and all is well. Dang,, it's just a oil change
Old 10-23-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hdrider
When I bought my jeep I also did the lifetime oil chage deal. So yesterday got to the dealership for my 2012's 1st oil change at 850 miles,, got in and out just like that... got down the road a piece and smelled oil burning off,, though oh well they must have spilled when putting oil back in. Got to my next stop about 10 miles from the shop and looked under the jeep to find oil puddleing in about 5 spots . I checked the drain plug but it was appearant the oil was coming from above. Checked the level and headed back to the dealership. Got right in again and found that behind the oil filter was a wire loom with a white tag on it that got between the filter and the block. Removed that, put the filter back on did a degreasing and headed out.
Got about a mile down the road to get fuel,, got out again to find oil running out again . Back to the dealership and told them to try a new filter. Turnes out that the gasket had been cut. Probably by that stupid plastic tag that got cought the first time. So a new filter and another degreasing and all is well. Dang,, it's just a oil change
they have got their hands coming from ass you know if someones hands smell like shit they are legs ahhhhhhaaaaaahhhhaaaa!!!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Something similar happened to me. Got home saw that there was oil on my driveway, drove back as soon as I noticed it. The guy cross threaded the filter.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR6KjNmN2BA&feature=related
Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well clearly your Jeep is leaking oil because of you big lift and tires.

Thats what tried to fight me for during several rear main seal leaks..

Glad you got it fixed up! it's a pain to clean when that happens. Bet that smell makes everybody paranoid!

Quick Reply: Oil change fiasco