Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Oh Thank God- Jeep did NOT make the list

Old 07-01-2008, 10:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it sounds cheezy.......Jeep, there's only one.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The family has taken the JK on 2 road trips and it has been very comfortable with the wife, 2 kids -( 3 & 7years old) and our beagle, luggage and dog kennel!

It was a litttle slower than our other car or Truck.....BUT you can't beat cruising to your destination with the top off! Also, it is nice to take a side tour on a logging road to explore some new country in the JK!

Whenever, we filled up at the gas station people would be asking or peaking in at our setup especially when they see the kids in their car seats. Most of these people are the mini-van owner's!!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 12:39 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Those must be some boring family trips--no wonder the kids are raising such a fuss in the back seat. When I head out, it's for 6,000 miles of travel so that I can hike, paddle, backpack, four wheel drive, and maybe even climb a mountain or four. If it's snowing or icy or the road is not paved or just plain non-existent, I still expect to hike paddle, backpack, four wheel drive and maybe climb a mountain or four. If I'm on the road, or even not, I enjoy the view with the top removed. If feasible, I especially enjoy the view with the doors off. Not a single one of those vehicles suits that lifestyle. Thank God for my JK!

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-15-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, resurrected this old thread.

The JK is a great vehicle for trips. But for the purposes of the article from the OP the JK needed to be:

- Safe: 4autos are screwed
- Comfortable: If the wifey/kids are too busy whining bout the seats/noise, it aint comfy
- Reliable: Do I even have to justify this one?

But I still love my JK
Old 10-16-2008, 05:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad2893
... for the purposes of the article from the OP the JK needed to be:

- Safe: ...
- Comfortable: ...
- Reliable: ...
Brad2893: This isn't directed at you personally.

/rantmode: ON

That's the trouble with articles like that. We all want to be safe, but the most important part of safety is the driver. Any driver will have orders of magnitude more impact over the safety of him/herself and the passengers than even the safest of vehicles. Remember, the bulk of safety gear is designed for when the driver fails to provide it. That doesn't mean I don't want a safe vehicle. But, you buy it by the pound. A safe driving attitude, an alert driver (NO ALCOHOL OR CELL PHONES!!!), good training and/or experience are virtually free (okay, you may have to pay for driver's ed). But, how many pounds of safety do you want to buy? Does the JK not have enough? How do you know when a vehicle has too much? Answer: If you're writing an article like this, there's never too much, no matter what the cost.

Comfort is over-rated. Okay, we all want to be reasonably comfortable. But, when you decide to rate comfort for a road trip, are you rating whether bun warmers and cupholders sized to hold that monster 7-Eleven drink were available? Give me a break. If I'm taking the family on a trip, I want fun. Yeah, I expect the heater to work when needed, and air conditioning is a nice addition in the right conditions (though top/doors off easily trumps that). But, they didn't even rate "fun" in the article. And that's the most important part of a vacation, isn't it?

Bottom line: The choice of what was rated decided the outcome. And what they rated has little to do with what I consider most important when deciding what vehicle I'd take on a road trip.

/rantmode: OFF
Old 10-16-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some may find 2 door Jk hard for family travel but the Unlimited JK is a fine family car for DD and long distance travel , specially in winter and snow.

Quick Reply: Oh Thank God- Jeep did NOT make the list