Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Oh boy, or maybe girl...

Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh boy, or maybe girl...

So surprise, my new wife informs we a few weeks ago that we are pregnant. Heck we just got married early June so it wasn't like we were trying, just practicing. Anyways we both want kids, and were planning on waiting a year so no biggie.

Anyways on to my dilemma. I have a wonderful '08 JK that I bought new, which the backseat has been out of since about week 2 of owning the Jeep. Now that we will be adding a +1 this spring I worry about rear facing car seat/s and such with the 2 door.

Should I worry, can we get by with one rear facing in the back? Is it going to make me want to kill myself every time I have the child in the Jeep? It won't be a our daily driver, the wife has a WK2 for that.

I thought I read somewhere that the '08 front seats suck for getting anything in the back?

Ugh, should I look for something else, a JKU (which we probably can't afford at the moment for what I'd want).

Advice?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

My wife and I had a TJ for about 10 years in which time it held 2 rear facing car seats, we also had a WK for daily use. If you already have a grand Cherokee for everyday use I wouldn't worry about buying a different vehicle just because your having a baby. Make sure you buy a car seat with a detachable base and all you have to do is reach back and snap them into base and away you go. It was a pain the the butt with a two door and we love our jku but if you have a jk and you like it keep it. Your child will only be in a rear facing seat for the first year.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:47 PM
JK Newbie

Congrats! Sounds like you have enough Jeeps for the future Jeeper. I think the JK should have enough room for a diaper bag and folded stroller or baby carrier (with metal frame). Plus, he or she will enjoy crawling around in it-like a play pen on wheels!!

I traded in my TJ for a JKU because I planned on a puppy and baby, while letting hubby drive his Ford Ranger (standard cab). Keep the two-door as long as you can! I really miss mine.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Congratulations on the future Jeeper! I am a LEO and certified car seat inspector so as for your rear facing car seat concern: 1st - the rear facing seat should always be placed in the center of the rear seat unless there is something prohibiting it from safely sitting there, 2nd- no matter where the seat is situated the front seats must be pulled forward enough to allow room between the car seat and the front seats. The reason for this is that a rear facing car seat is designed to work like a catcher's mit in baseball and they are suppose to be able to move to absorb the shock of an impact and let the little one "ride out" a crash. In other workds rear facing seat should have space to move and by their design they are suppose to move some unlike forward facing seats that are more "fixed" to the seat. If the car seat is up aginst the front seat or does not have enough clearance to move freely then it will be like the child and seat slamming into a wall and that sudden stop is going to SUCK. Any two door vehicle can accomdate the proper installation of a rear facing car seat it just become uncomfortable in some vehicles for the front passengers.

That being said for comfort and ease of getting the seat in and out a two door is going to wear on you in the long run. That is one of the main reasons I went with the 4 door its just alot more user friendly with car seats and kids with or without seats. Just my two cents hope it helps. And congratulations again!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Congratulations to you and your family.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wait till you're on your third child and then get a JKU. If anything, wait and see if your lifestyles with the jeeps changes after the child is born. Why jump the gun when you don't know how it will play out. Just my .02. Congrats on your first child, now start drinking heavily.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just get used to Cheerios stuck to the back of your head lol
Old 08-01-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have not tried to put carseats in the back of a 2 door JK, but I've fit them in the back of sub-compact rentals and friends/families economy cars so I doubt you will have a problem. As far as comfort, I would wait and see. More often than not it's not the rear facing car seat it's all the other stuff that goes with it (Diaper bag, stroller, and whatever other gear you decide to have for your child)

Give yourself some time with the baby and the 2 door to decide what you want to do. Don't change out your ride before the baby is born - you have enough expenses to worry about right now!

Congrats - I'm expecting #3 in november but I have a JKU to fit them in.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A buddy of mine used to put his kid in the carseat from the back of his jk. He said it was much easier, but he dors have a jku now though....
Old 08-01-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Congratulations!

Quick Reply: Oh boy, or maybe girl...