Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Off road Insuracne Coverage??

Old 12-12-2008, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off road Insuracne Coverage??

This past week while wheeling Moab in my 2008 Rubicon my buddy asked me if my insurance covered me and my jeep while off-roading. He asked this as we sat on the top of a "fin" on Hell's Revenge! I said sure and drove on. Luckly we did not need to test the coverage...

Upon return I discovered that my coverage with Allstate did not cover my vehicle when it was not on a federal, state, or county maintained road.

So my question to the group is "do you have off-road coverage for your vehicle and if so who are you insured with?" Four of our five vehicles are 4X4's and all of them are on "non-maintained" roads on a regular basis.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to know this as well. Offroad coverage would probably be very nice considering I might need it sometime in the future.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Former Vendor

I've confirmed with Progressive that I'm covered with normal full coverage.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I confirmed it with Nationwide when I switched to them. I was sure to ask if I would be covered regardless if I was off the main roads or a Jeep trail.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am covered with MY State Farm agent. They told me "Well it is an off road vehicle right"! I thought that was cool. I have found, and this has come up before, that it seems to depend on the agent.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:33 PM
JK Junkie

My wife and I have Allstate, and we have a good relationship with a local agent... he told us that we're not technically covered off-road, but if I ever ran into trouble on the trail, I could get a tow to roadside, and then report it directly to him.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks folks. I am still chasing this down. Today Hartford said that they could not offer us auto insurance because the "wrangler" is not available for their coverage. Hmmm...

Oh well if I learn anything more I will keep you all (that is y'all back home in Georgia!) posted.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by OlegFl
This is a great question....!!!!... for the ones of you that have been "told".... I was told by Jeep that they will warranty my vehicle and we all know how that is.

Do any of the agents put it in writing or have stood by their word???
"Told" was just a confirmation of read as well. Although not explicitly mentioned it's not excluded nor is there any words in my policy that indicates it might be excluded.

I've known people that had offroad damage covered in the past, so I have no reason to worry about it beyond that. We all know how unscrupulous insurance companies can be, so nothing is for sure -- especially with Allstate and State Farm.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really have a hard time believing an insurance company would knowingly cover off road damage especially if the damage is obvious. But I am curious how many people tell their insurance company their jeep is lifted or modified? And did the premiums go up and by how much?In case of an accident if they are not told ahead of time then they don't need to pay.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by N2rock
Yes- its called "add on accessory coverage" and you purchase it in blocks typically. Most full-coverage policies include $1000 worth already. If you want more you typically have to buy it in blocks of $2000
And there's usually a cap. I think Progressive was like $5,000.

Quick Reply: Off road Insuracne Coverage??