Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Off-road impacts on the Environment

Old 09-03-2015, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-road impacts on the Environment

I love off-roading and blazing through trails in my Jeep. Are we hurting the environment by doing so? Are off-road groups giving back to the environmental community?
Old 09-03-2015, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My local club (something along the lines of 1200 members strong) has started to pursue adopting roads throughout 3 counties and will clean up trash and litter on those roads.

Not environmentally related but we also do frequent community outreach activities. Fundraisers for cancer research, food drives, etc.

I think it's important to give back in every way that you can. Doing things to minimize environmental impacts is always a priority. This includes NOT participating in illegal wheeling. Don't go destroying property that doesn't allow it.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Depending on what crazy environmental group you talk to just you breathing is destroying the environment and the planet. Many clubs do a lot of work to maintain trails and do clean ups be check into them before donating money to them. Most of the big so called environmental groups are nothing more then communists taking a free ride on your donations and laundure money for the democrat party getting far left loonies elected. Do not give money to peta, sierra club, greenpeace, world wildlife fund. They have been hijacked and no longer do what they were set up to do.
Keep it local to you and use common sense when wheeling. Don't litter, don't tear new trails thru unravel areas, don't get all muddied up and drive down the road throwing mud off your tires.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crushjk12
I love off-roading and blazing through trails in my Jeep. Are we hurting the environment by doing so? Are off-road groups giving back to the environmental community?
If you put all environmentalists in a single category, you'll see two concerns about "off-roading" emerge:

1. The concerns from the "Tread Lightly" kind of groups that recognize motorized use as an acceptable form of outdoor recreation are more about stewardship of public and private lands; that is to keep off private lands when access is not permitted, and to not abuse public lands--do not destroy trails, do not modify trails, no DUI activity, no illegal or irresponsible target shooting, take your trash with you, and generally be friendly, safe, and respectful, and go prepared.

Lots and lots of 4-wheeling groups are mindful of these concerns and work cooperatively with public agencies to maintain open access under respectable use guidelines. Many groups will put in very significant work into trail systems and organize work parties, etc. It's win/win.

2. The concerns from the "leftist" type environmental groups are that yes, you are absolutely destroying the environment by using a gasoline powered vehicle for purposes of enjoyment. Motorized vehicles cause pollution and erosion, using them offroad kills trees and plant life, disrupts wildlife habitat, and that any type of motorized use on public lands is disruptive/dangerous to other forms of outdoor activity. These groups work to sabotage trails, they litigate and organize political action to close roads and trails to motorized use, they lobby for use restrictions of public land, and they are extremely adept at acquiring private land under the guise of placing these parcels in public trusts, conservatories, and using other "environmental action" type of clout as to exclude certain types of uses and activity on public lands. They will also point to every tire tread, empty beer can, shotgun casing, and blame it on motorized use. Simply put, if you do not enjoy their outdoor activities like hiking, and pretty much only hiking, you are a horrible person.

These groups are exceptionally difficult to work with and no matter the amount of clean-up and rebuild effort that motorized vehicle use groups put into public lands, everything is still their fault, and as I've seen in my tenure, they still find ways to restrict use and revoke access for motorized vehicles.

So that's the long answer to your question; the answer is yes; off-roading is environmentally impactful, but there are lots of 4x4 groups that are environmentally conscientious and they do organize work parties and they do get involved politically to protect their interests. Check around.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments. The question was posed to me and made me think harder about our impact on earth. I love the jeep and how driving through trails with some friends brings great memories.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
If you put all environmentalists in a single category, you'll see two concerns about "off-roading" emerge:

1. The concerns from the "Tread Lightly" kind of groups that recognize motorized use as an acceptable form of outdoor recreation are more about stewardship of public and private lands; that is to keep off private lands when access is not permitted, and to not abuse public lands--do not destroy trails, do not modify trails, no DUI activity, no illegal or irresponsible target shooting, take your trash with you, and generally be friendly, safe, and respectful, and go prepared.

The problem I have with some people in the tread light group is their definition of destroy trails or modify trails.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Aaaannd... Politics. Again.

This place has really gone down hill.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99

Lol. Were you on a critter team on Ft. Irwin?
Old 09-04-2015, 02:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Urbanization, agriculture and industry are much more damaging than the little effect of some Jeeps on trails.
A single trans Atlantic flight or crossing of large cargo ship contaminates the atmosphere more than a group of Jeeps does over a whole year of offroading, so let's put it in the right proportion...

There are many little things that we can do to prevent or minimize our footprint on nature.
For instance --
I stopped making open fires or using fossil fuel (gas or liquid) stoves.
Instead, I use a Solo Stove (the Titan, or its bigger brother the Campfire).
Fuel is any dead wood material laying around. Properly set & used, there's almost no smoke or toxic gases. Such 'wood-gas stoves' are more efficient than open fire, so they emit more heat from much less wood.
What's left is a little bit of gray mineral dust, which I shallowly bury next to a tree or bush -- it's a natural fertilizer. Not only no "evidence" for a fire is left behind, a tree got a free meal.

Just think of the footprint you (or others) may have left behind, and do what you can to remove or minimize it... and enjoy it out there.

Last edited by GJeep; 09-04-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99

Environmentalism and politics are inextricably linked..not sure what you came in here expecting? But there also isn't really any arguing going on.

Quick Reply: Off-road impacts on the Environment