Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Odd shifting in 2007 JKU auto on highway.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Odd shifting in 2007 JKU auto on highway.

Now now, don't go and think I mean shifting from OD to third, I get why that happens. However, I was recently on a relatively long road trip, and about 200 miles in I was going through a city and getting back on to the freeway. Now, I was in OD at like 40, pretty low RPMs, so I put my foot down about 1/2 way for a couple of seconds to shift it out of OD, then I realized that wasn't doing it, so I put my foot down about 3/4 of the way, and it still didn't shift down. At this point I'm wondering whats going on (because it usually always kicks down), so I decided to just mash it and shift it down, and it still didn't do it. At this point I'm starting to get a bad smell coming up, at this point I just press the OD button to keep it off, and it suddenly kicks into first. It redlines like immediately, shifts to second, redlines immediately again, and then shifts to third. Once I got up to freeway speed (about 69 mph), I pushed OD back on, turned on cruise and it was completely normal the rest of the way.

This is the one real situation i've had where I was somewhat concerned with it, any ideas? The smell went away about 1 minute after it kicked down.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bump with more happenings as of lately.

It appears my transmission could be on the downhill, as it's starting to slip when downshifting from 2nd to first at lowish speeds.

Quick Reply: Odd shifting in 2007 JKU auto on highway.