Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

notice a diff between longer shocks vs. xtensions?

Old 12-15-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default notice a diff between longer shocks vs. xtensions?

ill be buying the TF BB and was wondering weather i should buy the package with the TF shocks or get the package with the shock extensions and use my rubicon shocks. im leaning towards the shock extensions but was wondering if i'd notice a difference when i flex if i had one or the other. any pros and cons to the 2 of these?? thanks guys
Old 12-15-2009, 07:22 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you can afford it, getting new longer shocks is the better option as they will give you more articulation.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Was wondering the same thing. Will having less articulation with shock extensions decrease the risk of tearing up the driveshaft boot (particularly in auto's) or have no impact?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:29 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by currdog
Was wondering the same thing. Will having less articulation with shock extensions decrease the risk of tearing up the driveshaft boot (particularly in auto's) or have no impact?
actually, less droop will help prevent the tearing of the drive shaft boot on autos. and, while the extensions will offer less droop than new longer shocks, they will also prevent stuff. in other words, your over all articulation will be limited.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

yea but arent the rubicon shocks better then the ones that come with the TF BB package?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ideally coil springs and shocks are tuned a set.

When you lift your Jeep with coils it is better to get longer shocks (vs extension).

With a BB where you are just "extending" your coils with a spacer, the benefit of using longer shocks is reduced.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

so then if i planned on gettin the BB from tf, should i get the extensions and keep my rubi shocks or get the package with the tf shocks?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just FYI: TF told me that the Rubi shox are really good & using extensions is an ok alternative & saves a few $. you should spend the money on new coils before longer shox.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by currdog
I thought the same thing. Still hit the driveshaft boot on transmission pan. I should have gone with the 3 inch lift and shocks. I only got the 2.5 inch coil lift with shock extensions, to avoid any driveshaft boot problems. Of course now I am looking at 4 inch, long arm lifts.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

thanks for the advice. yea man i think its like a $150 difference in the TF BB package with out the shocks then the one with them. Anybody have issues with the Drive shaft with the 2.5 bb??

Quick Reply: notice a diff between longer shocks vs. xtensions?