Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Not a fan of the top off Jeep life

Old 09-13-2024, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Both mine have hardtops an only the Sahara (wife's Jeep) has had the tops off no more than 3 times.

I am down in FL and top off is usually a throw of the dice with rain. That and the AC for those hot humid days. When I was out in NM and CO, usually too busy or had too much highway driving to do to remove the tops. NM would have windy seasons with a lot of dust and driving between Denver and SF during that time would have been miserable.

As a kid, doing the mountain passes in CO a topless CJ was pretty nice, but that was usually slow going.

My Targa without the top is not bad even at higher highway speeds.

Riding motorcyles does give more noise and wind, but it's expected. I grew up riding everything for 2 stroke motocross to streetbikes. Loud ass Harley's are by configuration and can annoying, but not usually for the rider (since they usually configured it that way). We are invaded by huge numbers a couple times a year and most residents cant wait till they leave. Their intentional noise will get into even sealed up cars.
Old 09-13-2024, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

I only put a top and doors on for the winter. Otherwise those things live in the garage. The sun shade is essential and I guess I just don't care about the wind or the noise. Pretty sure mine has logged more naked hours than not.
Old 09-16-2024, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it, but I don't love it enough to clean the interior. I only take the roof and doors off if I think there might be trail damage.

Quick Reply: Not a fan of the top off Jeep life