Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

No more soft tops in CA ?

Old 10-15-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no fan of the California, I'd rather be on Guam, but I'm gonna call bs on this. I noticed both autoblog articles use the words "could" and "may" which means nothing as fir as I'm concerned.

On the other hand the autoregs article posted by Mark Doiron doesn't mention the wrangler or even convertibles. It states that CARB adopted a regulation requireing solor reflective glass. It goes on to state that the glass should reduce the interior temps by 12° or something close to that. That sounds like an improvement for hot climate areas cause the JK ac does a noble but faint job of getting the interior cooled down on 105° days.

Why do people like to get all tied up about stuff like this? Some change is good. 20 years ago, the air here was much worse.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spinlock

This solution is simple: just remove the AC. I had a 75 CJ with no air and never missed it (although I didn't know any better back then). Besides, I ripped a big hole in the back of the soft top fairly early in my tenure and never could justify replacing it because the rain just poured in and flowed out the tailgate; no big deal.

This must be a communist ploy!
I'm curious as to their thought on a new JK with A/C delete. You can still get the two doors with A/C delete...
Old 10-15-2009, 05:13 PM
jmc
JK Enthusiast

There is no way they could get away with that. What with all the soft tops that you buy from the dealer
Old 10-16-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read this on Allpar earlier...

Jeep Wrangler, GEM exempt from new California rules
October 16th, 2009 by DaveAdmin

The California Air Resources Board announced that vehicles with soft plastic windows, such as those in the Jeep Wrangler, will be exempt from new regulations that require thermal-control windows. The regulations, to be phased in starting in model year 2012, are designed to reduce vehicle emissions by cutting the load on air conditioners.

Due to inversion layers which keep pollution close to its source in large parts of the state, California has had much stricter pollution rules than the Federal government in order to comply with clean-air regulations and reduce pollution-related illness.

The California Air Resources Board said that the “Cool Cars” regulation would only apply to “rigid windows” and not the “flexible glazing” on vehicles such as the Wrangler (which was mentioned by name.) Avoiding a loophole, they also noted that rigid plastic windows would need to comply with the standards, which are to be finalized by the end of October 2009.

GEM electric vehicles also have soft plastic windows; they do not have air conditioning.

The rules are expected to require windows that block 45% of the sun’s thermal energy (60% by 2016) on new vehicles weighing under 10,000 pounds. The windows may interfere with handheld cell phone and navigation systems, which drivers are discouraged from using (but which passengers may use). The board said that they would not interfere with electronic toll systems such as EZPass, based on tests, and that garage door openers would still work if used through a “deletion window.”

Toyota said the regulation would be expensive for them, since their GPS antennas are mounted inside the vehicle, and would need to be moved to the roof.

Depending on the price of fuel, the cost of the regulation would take 5-12 years to recoup in gas mileage, according to the state.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Nice post "Atl JK". Rest assured... "Chrysler/Jeep" could not have taken this hit, as "JK" is their #1 seller, so most likely lobbyist hammered this baby down before print. Still there are some people in high places who want us all to commute for work, and not for recreation.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

that sucks, im glad i live in the usa and not cali. that place is communist.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joes-jk
that sucks, im glad i live in the usa and not cali. that place is communist.
It's not the whole state, it's just 10-12 dominant counties out of a total of 58 that control this state.

Quick Reply: No more soft tops in CA ?