Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

No more soft tops in CA ?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think jeep hard tops would fail too. those don't have any insualtion.

I've noticed a recent trend in autos and I don't understand it. The new prius has "solar powered" air conditioning...I understand that by running the engine driven AC comperssor we're "robbing" our engine of gas mileage. But we're talking miniscule amounts in todays efficient compressors and engines. It's not like a home AC unit that uses electricity. Money and time wasted for no real return.

I usually have the AC running with the doors/top off anyways, better windows aren't going to help me.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie

POOR EDDIE !!!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

lol and people talk bad about NY..... Just one more reason not to live there I guess
Old 10-12-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

The story says the auto makers will be required to install the high tech glass.
Nothing says the owner can't put an after-market soft top on.
It's like the 5mph bumpers. Commercial places can't remove them, but the owner can (as long as it's back on when it is sold).
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about the base model two doors with no A/C? They exist, I've sold several on eBay.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlameRed
The new prius has "solar powered" air conditioning...
Actually, about that Prius scam..

It's not solar powered air conditioning. It's a solar powered fan (like 15 watts or something ridiculous) that runs when the vehicle is parked to keep the inside a little cooler.

It's part of a $3800 package. Essentially its about $1500 for that little POS fan.

Perfect for the snobs though... Makes them feel like they are saving the world or something.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So essesentially the hard top will be required at point-of-sale though still removable for a soft top. Okay. Another well thought out idea by government. Question is, how many Jeeps in CA have sold with hard tops and how many without? Of these that sold with hard tops, has anyone done any research to measure the carbon footprint of what it will cost to produce the extra tops that many consumers won't use?
Old 10-13-2009, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by dmhines
This just adds to the hundred reasons that already exist to not live in California - the land of fruits and nuts.
Hey Now!!!

..I resemble that remark!...
Well... the nutty part at least

Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lucas718
California could pass legislation that would essentially make soft top Jeeps illegal.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/12/c...e-with-phones/

Wow. just wow.
You missed the worst part of the regulations: No Black or Dark Colored Vehicles will be allowed

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/25/c...ng-black-cars/

Light colored auto bodies and reflective coatings on transparent surfaces ( the sunblock panoramas of the early 80's will be cool again) will be required due to excessive AC usage.

This solution is simple: just remove the AC. I had a 75 CJ with no air and never missed it (although I didn't know any better back then). Besides, I ripped a big hole in the back of the soft top fairly early in my tenure and never could justify replacing it because the rain just poured in and flowed out the tailgate; no big deal.

This must be a communist ploy!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by liquidrock
So essesentially the hard top will be required at point-of-sale though still removable for a soft top. Okay. Another well thought out idea by government. Question is, how many Jeeps in CA have sold with hard tops and how many without? Of these that sold with hard tops, has anyone done any research to measure the carbon footprint of what it will cost to produce the extra tops that many consumers won't use?
Sounds like an opportunity for an entrepreneur to fill a trailer up with Cali hardtops and bring them east.....

Also, it would mean some SERIOUS ripoff prices for half doors to Cali comrades.

Quick Reply: No more soft tops in CA ?