Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

No Front Bumper Laws -- ???

Old 06-19-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Front Bumper Laws -- ???

At the moment my front bumper is completely off the JK to where you see the frame because I just finished fabing a custom front stubby and it's at the powder coaters.

Tomorrow (Saturday) I'm driving from Phoenix, AZ to L.A.

Arizona is okay with no front bumper on the JK. How's California? Am I going to get stopped/pulled over or anything along those lines, or am I safe all the way? I also won't have a license plate on the front of my JK, should I wire tie it to the front of the frame although it won't have a registration tag?

***Made a front bumper because my old one was weak and is now scrapped***

Thanks. I know I sound paranoid but I just want to make sure my day trip goes smooth and without a hitch.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anything other than stock is illegal in california pretty much.

Last edited by Slimjim; 06-19-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The laws apply based on where the vehicle is registered. The cops in California may hassle you, but they can't do more than that.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Slimjim
Anything other than stock is illegal in california pretty much.
Are you certain of this? I realize that California runs by its own set of rules on many things, but reality is that only the owner of certain types of vehicles can determine exactly what bumper will fit the task--whether it's a lift-gate, step, class 3 trailer rated, winch-capable, whatever. That's why trucks are routinely sold by the dealerships without bumpers.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
At the moment my front bumper is completely off the JK to where you see the frame because I just finished fabing a custom front stubby and it's at the powder coaters.

Tomorrow (Saturday) I'm driving from Phoenix, AZ to L.A.

Arizona is okay with no front bumper on the JK. How's California? Am I going to get stopped/pulled over or anything along those lines, or am I safe all the way? I also won't have a license plate on the front of my JK, should I wire tie it to the front of the frame although it won't have a registration tag?

***Made a front bumper because my old one was weak and is now scrapped***

Thanks. I know I sound paranoid but I just want to make sure my day trip goes smooth and without a hitch.
Hey RN, had a few minutes and did this search. Information is off of the California DMV website:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc28071.htm

Hope that helps.

Ruben
Old 06-21-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know a guy in Fullerton that has a 2 x 12 plank for a front bumper on his truck. Has had it for a few years now. never been pulled over for it.

Quick Reply: No Front Bumper Laws -- ???