Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

no doors and children

Old 01-13-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Times have changed, I remember riding in the back of a pick-up. Mandatory seatbelt laws didn't start coming in until the 80's, and even then on a state by state basis. Seatbelts were an optional extra/aftermarket accessory until I believe the mid 60's possibly later.

One has to look at past practices as if it was a completely different society, because it was. One should not judge past societies, or modern societies other than their own for that matter, through his or her own cultural perspective. Doing so, only leads to misunderstanding and lack of comprehension. Are our modern culturally accepted practices aimed at a safer society? Yes, it's known as progress. Does it mean past generations were ignorant? No.

Labeling past or different societies as ignorant only demonstrates a lack of understanding and comprehension, an inability to see otherwise is an exercise in ignorance in itself.

I grew up not wearing a seatbelt, now I don't go anywhere without one. It is a learned behavior.

I don't have kids yet, so I can't really say what my practices will be for topless/doorless. I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
it was perfectly legal and widely accepted not too long ago. You must be one of the young ones.....
I'm not sure that kids riding in the back of a pick up truck on a highway was ever widely accepted. And just because something is legal doesn't mean it's not stupid. It's legal for a 21 year old to ride a motorcycle in Florida(and a number of other states) but not necessary smart. However, it's an adults choice and not endangering a child.

Driving a pick up truck on the highway with kids in the back is not smart.

Last edited by tcdawg; 01-13-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Nbjeep
Yes I do. Grandkids too. What exactly does that have to do with it?
I do as well

Do you ride them around in the back of a pick up on the highway?
Old 01-13-2015, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

I could say that burying your Jeep up to the door handles is stupid. There's no law against it. It would however show my ignorance at the fun that those that do so get from that experience.
You are comparing getting your jeep stuck in mud to adults driving kids down the highway in the back of a pick up truck?

Whether it's done in 2014, 2004 or 1964....driving down a highway with kids in the back of a pick up truck is stupid.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son who is now 10 asked if we can take the doors off this summer.
I quickly said Yup!
I fully intend to go topless and door-less as often as possible with the kids.
We have plans on going camping in May with our neighbors, their son (he's 11) already asked if he can ride with us lol!
jeep life !
Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

lol just gonna ignore all the wisdom just passed on to you I see. Calm down buddy, have you ever stopped to think how you are privileged to be living in a time and place where you can afford safety features, and are lucky enough to be in a position to have those choices? You realize how many millions and millions of people around the world still roll around in the back of pick-up trucks? Do you realize there are people who hang off the sides and onto the top of trains around the world? How many people crowd 8-10 people into a vw? How many families of 4-5 people hang onto motorbikes and side cars to be able to travel by vehicle? Using the implied logic behind your validation of your own harsh criticism, the majority of the world is stupid. Lol wait a minute...

Anyway, stop being such a sourpuss and calling people's parents names. You wouldn't do that in a stranger's face in real life now would you.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok tcdawg, out with it. What IS it with you and people riding in the back of pickups?
Old 01-14-2015, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok tcdawg, out with it. What IS it with you and people riding in the back of pickups?
He already told you. Those people are stupid, their parents are stupid, their family is stupid, their dog sucks, he hates cats, hates pink ballons and all teddy bears won at the county fair are filled with the souls of dying unicorns.. .. .. ..

I'm still baffles me how people can go from 'when is it proper to take the doors off a jeep' too 'your parents are stupid and your family sucks old moldy eggs because you rode in the back of a pickup truck' ..

It's Obama's fault

Last edited by swanny2369; 01-14-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubicon91
Congrats first off on the 2 new additions soon. I live on the gulf in FL. Jeeps always need the top off and sun. Now with that being said my twin boys just turned 16 this month. I had a 95 yj and had 2 car seats with them in the back long before they were 2 an they loved it. They have been around me an my jeeps their entire life. I now have a 6 yr old daughter and when I got my 4 door I was a little hesitant with her but she absolutely loves it. Always wants doors off. She was probably 3 when I first had her with doors off. I had some half doors before that and she was in jeep with them. I had a tj when she was born and top was off all the time. I have seen in town a couple who took doors off 2 car seats kids in and I was like sweet. However just be prepared for looks. I still get them and laugh. I don't care. Plus she is all crazy haired and loves it while belting out frozen or Taylor swift loudly. I have taken her also to private Christian school that wife wants her in and gotten really rotten looks but I was never one to give a crap what anyone thinks so do what you want and as long as they are safe and enjoy it well doors off and jeep on I say!! Again congrats on your upcoming twins.
Love your thought on how people can look! I figured when the time came I would get looks and will be prepared for it!
And thank you all for the congrats! we are super excited!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by swanny2369
He already told you. Those people are stupid, their parents are stupid, their family is stupid, their dog sucks, he hates cats, hates pink ballons and all teddy bears won at the county fair are filled with the souls of dying unicorns.. .. .. ..
My bad. I somehow missed that part. HAHAHA

Quick Reply: no doors and children