Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

no doors and children

Old 01-12-2015, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no doors and children

Let me start off by saying that I love my jeep but I love it 10x more when the top is off and the doors are gone. That being said, My wife and I are expecting TWIN girls March 1st. How old before you were able to take the top off? and then how much longer till you took the doors off. I am a 4door by the way. What do you guys think about this, and what have you done with your kids in a naked jeep? I will be getting a spider shade of course and am looking into half doors as well. Lets hear the feed back and possible pics too!
Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

There was a pretty long thread on this exact subject within the past year. My kids are old now, but I used to have a 1982 CJ. I ran the kids around, and even took 200 mile trips topless and doorless when they were about three years old. One thing not to overlook is to protect them from the sun. You can get burnt badly on a long trip on a sunny day.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my 2011 4 door when my twins were 4 and my youngest was 1. I had them in the back seat with the top off and the front doors off pretty much right away. I did of course, have hats and sunglasses on all of them. I now use safari doors and have a spidershade. They love it. When it gets really warm out I use a Bikini top that covers the front and back.

I would say do it when you and your wife are comfortable with it. Also, congrats on the twins. They are awesome.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-04 18.14.40.jpg
Views:	1851
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	591642
Old 01-12-2015, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TriJeepV
I got my 2011 4 door when my twins were 4 and my youngest was 1. I had them in the back seat with the top off and the front doors off pretty much right away. I did of course, have hats and sunglasses on all of them. I now use safari doors and have a spidershade. They love it. When it gets really warm out I use a Bikini top that covers the front and back.

I would say do it when you and your wife are comfortable with it. Also, congrats on the twins. They are awesome.
Attachment 591642

Thank you, we are excited. And for the sun I will for sure be running a spider sun shade and always have sun screen and hats, it also helps that my wife is 100% spanish so I hope they get her skin color. And did the tube doors make you feel alot safer with them? I am leaning towards that option for sure. And will most likely wait till they are at least toddlers.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went the first year without any doors and it was a little unnerving. The following year I got the rear safari doors and I felt a lot better. I still keep the youngest in the middle and the twins on the outside. It's funny that you don't have to teach your kids not to try and unlock and open the doors when your driving around. My kids respected staying in the vehicle immediately.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats first off on the 2 new additions soon. I live on the gulf in FL. Jeeps always need the top off and sun. Now with that being said my twin boys just turned 16 this month. I had a 95 yj and had 2 car seats with them in the back long before they were 2 an they loved it. They have been around me an my jeeps their entire life. I now have a 6 yr old daughter and when I got my 4 door I was a little hesitant with her but she absolutely loves it. Always wants doors off. She was probably 3 when I first had her with doors off. I had some half doors before that and she was in jeep with them. I had a tj when she was born and top was off all the time. I have seen in town a couple who took doors off 2 car seats kids in and I was like sweet. However just be prepared for looks. I still get them and laugh. I don't care. Plus she is all crazy haired and loves it while belting out frozen or Taylor swift loudly. I have taken her also to private Christian school that wife wants her in and gotten really rotten looks but I was never one to give a crap what anyone thinks so do what you want and as long as they are safe and enjoy it well doors off and jeep on I say!! Again congrats on your upcoming twins.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Congrats on the twins. My twins are 4 and I finally feel comfortable to start looking for tube doors as a mental peace of mind. I've started looking on here for deals. The hard part is the wind. My one still isn't a fan. I just picked up a spider shade so I hope that helps him enjoy it more.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats on the additions! I can add my limited experience as last summer (my first jeep summer) my daughters were 15 months and 3 months. So if the smallest was in the jeep we didn't have the top down, as the breeze caused her to hold her breath which bothered me. My oldest at the time 15 months enjoyed the top down with us a few times, but keeping a hat and sunglasses on her at that point was still a tough bid. Next summer will be the first summer we will get to let them experience the top down together. Should be fun.. They grow quick tho so be ready for that.. I won't be taking their doors off for awhile yet I'd imagine. Not worth it to rush it IMO.. My rig has never been completely naked, but I'm not to concerned by that. When I want freedom I ride my Harley.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

My wife hates the idea of having the back doors off with our 2 yr old. I respect that and only take the fronts off when he's in. However, his daycare is only a few blocks away so one day I picked him up without doors on. I went slow and had him in tight, but the dude loved it.

X-Afma-Interstitial-Timeout
Old 01-12-2015, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

I think this all depends on how much you as parents worry, your children's mentality (willing to chill versus spazes) and your kids propensity to throw stuff. Very young kids, infants and toddlers, might not like the wind and might get cold. The back seats get a lot more wind in a 4door, unsure on a 2 door.

Quick Reply: no doors and children