Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Nitrogen ...longer tire life?

Old 07-23-2008, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only paid 15.00 at Tire Kingdom and they will check and refill them when necessary for free.And it may be in my imagination - but it rides better too.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

IMO I would think that airing up with Nitrogen would be difficult to do, after all, are they going to vacuum down your existing tires to insure that you have only Nitrogen in the tires? What if we fill them with the green goop to keep punctures from happening, airing down is really going to be a problem....
Old 07-24-2008, 03:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rjmcam
IMO I would think that airing up with Nitrogen would be difficult to do, after all, are they going to vacuum down your existing tires to insure that you have only Nitrogen in the tires? What if we fill them with the green goop to keep punctures from happening, airing down is really going to be a problem....
Actually they do drain all 4 tires at the same time through 4 seperate hoses coming from the machine. Then they refill them all with Nitrogen - the same way and all 4 tires are regulated to the same pressure.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Nitrogen filling is a crock of sh!t. The air all around us is mostly Nitrogen and a small part Oxygen. As far as the moisture, you really cant get away from that entirely. There is moisture everywhere. So there really is no difference between regular tire filling and nitrogen. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sspronin
Nitrogen filling is a crock of sh!t. The air all around us is mostly Nitrogen and a small part Oxygen. As far as the moisture, you really cant get away from that entirely. There is moisture everywhere. So there really is no difference between regular tire filling and nitrogen. Hope this helps.
Thats why all aircraft tires and Nascar race cars only use Nitrogen right? Another genius in Jersey.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're really that concerned about constant pressure, you could just jump out every ten minutes or so with your pressure gauge and compressor and keep inflating/deflating. You'll gain a lot of trail buddies doing that and it'll probably get you over 90 degree inclines.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

So would it be possible to get power tanks full of Nitrogen instead of CO2? Will it compress as readily? (Not that I really have any intention of doing this, just curious )
Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by britjk
Thats why all aircraft tires and Nascar race cars only use Nitrogen right? Another genius in Jersey.
Hey man watch the tone. It is fact the the ambient air is around 70% Nitrogen. I am not saying that Nitrogen doesnt do what is claimed. I am saying that paying extra $$ for it IMO is not worth it, when it is so abundent in regular air. But people can do what they please.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks dude, that is a perfect explaination.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Fire
Sounds like you need to write into Mythbusters with your helium idea. I know that jets and most other aircraft run with helium in their tires being that the psi change when flying.
Helium gives a whole new meaning to the term "floatation tires"

Quick Reply: Nitrogen ...longer tire life?