Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Nitrogen ...longer tire life?

Old 07-22-2008, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrogen ...longer tire life?

I was looking at on-board air products and came across this quote "Use the CO2 version to air up tires, run impact tools & even blow up your mattress. Use the Nitrogen version to increase tire life."

How does Nitro increase your tire life?

Less volume change due to outside temp...maybe.

Found answer in another sub-forum...search is your friend.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/use-co2-48038/

Last edited by Rockemsock; 07-22-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

nitrogen don't have the moisture that just air has will keep your tires inflated at a constant pressure better then air, thats about all it will do keeping your tires inflated so you don't wear them out from low pressure. there are many claims ive filled tires with it for 35 yrs and never really seen much difference is it worth it only if a tank is more handy and cheaper then air i would say. but now ive read 10 bucks a tire which is something i want in on that gig.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds tricky for those of us who are constantly airing up and down. Does it come in a can? If so how big of a can?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've mounted a boatload of tires in my life and I've never seen a tire rotted from the inside out from moisture.....so, I think that part is a scam. I know nitrogen has other advantages though because it's pretty popular. I always wondered why people have not tried helium....seems it would lighten the tire up some and maybe help mileage out.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I've mounted a boatload of tires in my life and I've never seen a tire rotted from the inside out from moisture.....so, I think that part is a scam. I know nitrogen has other advantages though because it's pretty popular. I always wondered why people have not tried helium....seems it would lighten the tire up some and maybe help mileage out.

Sounds like you need to write into Mythbusters with your helium idea. I know that jets and most other aircraft run with helium in their tires being that the psi change when flying.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nitrogen is used primarily due to its characteristics. For one it doesn't fluxuate in psi variances. For example when air is heated it exspands and contracts when cooled several P.S.I. Larger Construction equipment have been using Nitrogen in there tires for a while. It isn't a matter of it rotting but it does add to the life of the tire having stress fractures within the rubber and air dissipating slowly from it over time. For people who wheel it isn't a feesable investment being that most bag there tires or let the air out to a certain psi then reair up to max psi for highway use. Normal air does become stale over time breaking down the properties and deteriorating at a very slow rate the tire. If a person doesn't bag there tires and keeps the Nitro Fill in them they would benifit from it, Others who do bag down wouldn't see any change because we are constantly checking the psi to maintain a certain psi for our use at that time.... Hope this helps any or some..
Old 07-22-2008, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

It was answered in the first response.

Originally Posted by possumface
.....will keep your tires inflated at a constant pressure better than air, thats about all it will do keeping your tires inflated so you don't wear them out from low pressure.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 AM
JK Freak

We use Nitrogen on all of our aircraft tires as it is mandatory. I think it would be more of a pain in the arse to have get your bottles refilled but hey to each their own.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires....not Helium. #1- Nitrogen is not flammable. #2 Nitrogen does not exhibit the porous qualities that regular air does on rubber tires( this is why your tires go low with regular air). #3 Nitrogen does not expand and contract as much as regular air due to heat or altitude.
So the truth is that nitrogen will hold constant pressure better therefore reducing tread and tire wear and fatigue.
Is it worth the expense and hassle (especially if you air down for trails)? Only when you are coming in for a landing!!!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

most new sports cars have Nitrogen only filled tyres purely cos of the lack of heat exchange and therefore lack of expansion/contraction potential.

so you can corner at real high speed, wouldnt make too much a diff on a JK i would of thought tho?! lol

Quick Reply: Nitrogen ...longer tire life?