Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Nitrogen Gimmick at Tire Stores

Old 11-09-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
Actually, nitrogen is better than plain air. It does not raise and drop pressure like air does, and it does not allow moisture (not full of water, but moisture) into the tire like air does. $40 though is a bit much to pay for it.

I am in the Navy, and we use nitrogen on our aircraft tires (as does the rest of the military) for the exact reasons I posted above. It is better, but I don't think shops should charge $40 for it. That seems a bit steep. Also, if I am not mistaken, all aircraft, including civilian, use nitrogen for their tires.
There's more to it... Oxygen permeates through the rubber, whereas Nitrogen (being a larger atom) does not. Thus, pressure remains more consistent. When tires heat up, the pores in the rubber expand, and the Oxygen permeates even faster. Oxygen will naturally oxidize the rubber, leading to deterioration and cracking. Moist air is the worst case as it adds H2O, which when combined with Oxygen, will tend to increase wheel corrosion.

Those of you who own portable air tanks, you can get these purged and filled with dry Nitrogen for a fraction of $40. You should be able to find a gas cylinder supplier in the phone book who will charge the tank for a nominal fee.

Overall, the difference is not substantial. The benefit must at least equal the initial cost. $40 is insanely expensive for the limited benefit.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 11-09-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Military aircraft and most airlines use Nitrogen. The two reasons are that it contains less/no moisture and does maintain pressure better.

Civilian "General Aviation" tires use compressed air, and yes, I have to top up my tires a few times a year, especially as seasons change. I have gone through a lot of tires in my life on both vehicles and motorcycles. I am somewhat religious about checking my pressures, beyond that, never had a problem with air and don't plan on changing. Oh....all aviation mechanics do use nitrogen to service hydaullic struts like gear legs and steering dampners, again, due to moisture issues.

Of course, I use welders oxygen to service my oxygen tanks too. Why....welders O2 is as pure as Medical and Aviators O2. But I refill my big welders bottle for $15 which gives me about 6 fills in my portable bottles. If I go and fill my portable bottle with "Aviators O2" they want something like $60 per fill.

Keep your $40 and invest it in gas or trinkets.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

stop by Costco they'll give you the nitrogen if you bought tires from them. If you're nice to them they'll probably do it as a customer service thing too.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

up north it is definitely true with the nitrogen. we see a lot of rusted rims and especially TPMS sensors in our shop due to regular air. nitrogen doesn't yield those results though.

$40 is a bit high though for a change over.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil
I tested the antifreeze. (71,000 miles and 3 years). It looks good and still protects as good as when fresh. I've always gone by the book and have never had a failure related to coolant, engine oil, or anything. In fact, I've run many vehicles well over 100k miles, and never had an engine, including the head gasket, radiator, transmission, or other major failure.
lol, i didn't think you could get transmission failure from not changing your coolant! being at 5 year/100,000 mile doesn't mean anything at all will fail, it is certainly more prone!

Originally Posted by dmwil
I run 71% nitrogen in my tires, and always have. I check the pressure weekly. I've never had rims rust, and certainly don't expect that problem now, with all of my rims being made of aluminum. I've also never seen water come out of a tire being changed out of a new one.
lol, i don't think anyone has ever seen water come out of a rim. fix-a-flat or slime, maybe! not all wheels are built the same though either.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Youri
I think the proper way to inflate tires with nitrogen is to fill them up once, then deflate them all the way and fill them with nitrogen again. Most dealerships don't do that, so those $40 green valve caps truly are pointless.
Nitrogen is for folks who don't lower their tire pressures to off-road. And, personally, I think those folks should be buying Hummers, since they're obviously just mall crawlers anyway.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lanster
stop by Costco they'll give you the nitrogen if you bought tires from them. If you're nice to them they'll probably do it as a customer service thing too.
I have almost 3 years and 35,000 miles in tires I bought in Costco for a Pontiac I have. I have never had to add air. I never knew people charged for nitrogen until I read about it in this post.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I remember Jeff Gordon's team using Nitrogen. Tests were done and tire life and or increased speed didn't happen. Personally I think it's BS but my dealer will fill mine up for free when I bring her in for any service or if someone is available I can just drive on up.

But you wait...when I have to add air and one tire has air and the other nitrogen...someone somewhere will say that's unsafe.. Just wait. Hey maybe Obama will have the CDC say it's unsafe.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by woody_k

But you wait...when I have to add air and one tire has air and the other nitrogen...someone somewhere will say that's unsafe.. Just wait. Hey maybe Obama will have the CDC say it's unsafe.
I bet that it will just make your horn change to a higher pitch!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pet Rocks & Bottled Water, someone will buy it....

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Gimmick at Tire Stores