Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Nitrogen Gimmick at Tire Stores

Old 11-09-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
You got that right. Unfortunately, accute insomnia is one of the many parts of my disability. It's no wonder I have so many frikkin posts in such little time. LOL
Sorry to hear that, I feel your pain. For three months after my last back operation on March 17th I was up every hour on the hour and it was ready to drive me nuts. I am up about five times a night now which isn't great but it is one hell of a lot better.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a thought on the nitrogen issue. The biggest reason for using nitrogen in passenger vehicles is to eliminate (mostly) moisture, especialy in those fancy vehicles with the auto pressure sensors. Now the irony of this whole thing is that almost every air compressor out there (at least any compressor worth what you paid for it) has an air drier on it (similiar to the drier for air brake lines). So it completely negates the need for nitrogen. As a member of the military i understand the need for nitrogen in military vehicles undergoing extremes, but your passenger car (unless you drive an F1 car) does not need nitrogen......just good old 25cent air!!
Old 11-09-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

i'm gunna start filing people's tires with helium for $50 as a performance mod. it'll help offset those heavy bumpers, winches, etc. i think i'll go with blue valve caps for my scam. who's first?
Old 11-09-2008, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Racecars and motorcycles that race on asphalt will be Nitrogen filled to keep the tires cooler and prolong tire life. Nitrogen in passenger cars/trucks may be of no benefit to you folks down south but up north where we get radical temp fluctuations it does make a difference. Nitrogen is not affected by temperature swings like regular air. It has been found that TPMS can not be trusted when used with regular air up here in colder climates. If the warning keeps going off what is the point of having it.

That being said $40 is a ripoff and for the record I no longer run TPMS or Nitrogen.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Paying for Nitrogen

Hey 30-50 bucks for nitrogen ain't so bad , after all they put those nifty little green valve stem caps on for you
Old 11-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCKnauer22
i'm gunna start filing people's tires with helium for $50 as a performance mod. it'll help offset those heavy bumpers, winches, etc. i think i'll go with blue valve caps for my scam. who's first?
I'll buy!! It should lift the Jeep and reduce rolling resistance right.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

nitrogen filled tires have their advantages on HIGH performance cars, but not jeeps LOL.

but yeah 40 bucks is a RIP OFF

6 bucks at the most.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jblankster
nitrogen filled tires have their advantages on HIGH performance cars, but not jeeps LOL.

but yeah 40 bucks is a RIP OFF

6 bucks at the most.
6 bucks for the most readily avalible gas in the air??? I'll pass. That's worse then a 3 dollar bottle of a liquid that makes up 74% of the earth.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

$99 on the window sticker at a jeep dealership here...
Old 11-09-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do any of you who use nitrogen ever air down? I had thought about using nitrogen but the expense would be outta sight. Besides living in Arizona and all this dry heat I have not had any experience with a wheel rusting or anything else for that matter. I have used Co2 for years and with great results the only problem is that the source for it has said that they will fill nothing less than a 50 pound tank now.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Gimmick at Tire Stores