Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Nitrogen Gimmick at Tire Stores

Old 11-09-2008, 04:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Nitrogen Gimmick at Tire Stores

I see tire stores and auto repair shops and dealers everywhere offering nitrogen for filling tires for 40 bucks or more. What a stupid gimmick! 71% of the air you are breathing now and the air in your tires is nitrogen. Whatever benefit they claim has to be only a mild improvement. The best one I've heard is that there is no moisture in it. Well, I've never had a problem with my tires being filled with water, so scratch that one. As far as consistency during cooling or heating, I'm not sure. Try this: Save 40 bucks and check your tires weekly.

I love some of the BS they try and pass along for a quick buck.

I had my dealer (not for my Jeep, but for one of my other vehicles) tell me it was time to flush and fill the coolant system to the tune of over $100. The vehicle is 3 years old and has 71,000 miles. I showed him the owners manual and said, that's funny, it says here that it can go 5 years or 100,000 miles before needing changed. He said, "oh."

The lesson--Know your vehicle and let them know you'll be telling them what is needed, and not the other way around. And if you are not sure, come to this forum and ask. You might get a couple of differing opinions, but that is ok because people here want to help and are knowledgeable. It won't be because someone here is trying to make a fast buck.

Last edited by dmwil; 11-09-2008 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You ain't tellin this old boy nuthin. This has actually been around a long time, but all the younguns on the scene think it's all new, just like most everything else. I say let um waste their money. Let um learn the hard way.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they called it Amsoil synthetic nitrogen, people would line up to pay $40 for it...
Old 11-09-2008, 04:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
You ain't tellin this old boy nuthin. This has actually been around a long time, but all the younguns on the scene think it's all new, just like most everything else. I say let um waste their money. Let um learn the hard way.
Good morning Redneck you should be asleep.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Actually, nitrogen is better than plain air. It does not raise and drop pressure like air does, and it does not allow moisture (not full of water, but moisture) into the tire like air does. $40 though is a bit much to pay for it.

I am in the Navy, and we use nitrogen on our aircraft tires (as does the rest of the military) for the exact reasons I posted above. It is better, but I don't think shops should charge $40 for it. That seems a bit steep. Also, if I am not mistaken, all aircraft, including civilian, use nitrogen for their tires.

Last edited by wrnglrguy; 11-09-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

$40 is highway robbery
Old 11-09-2008, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

nitrogen is better than just air... however, $40 is a bit high.

it remains a constant temp, doesn't seep out as quickly, and yes holds moisture so your wheels don't rust up inside often...

oh yeah, and for guys who actually wait 5 year/100,000 miles on their antifreeze/coolant...

that means it has not only completely failed it's various tests, but it has turned into something other than antifreeze, lol..

besides, even though anti-freeze/coolant MAY still be "working" at that milage interval or time, consider all that rust and buildup just floating around your radiator/engine/heater core/and more..

i would change it much earlier. don't bet on your engine's head gasket because of what a book says.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hiontach
nitrogen is better than just air... however, $40 is a bit high.

it remains a constant temp, doesn't seep out as quickly, and yes holds moisture so your wheels don't rust up inside often...

oh yeah, and for guys who actually wait 5 year/100,000 miles on their antifreeze/coolant...

that means it has not only completely failed it's various tests, but it has turned into something other than antifreeze, lol..

besides, even though anti-freeze/coolant MAY still be "working" at that milage interval or time, consider all that rust and buildup just floating around your radiator/engine/heater core/and more..

i would change it much earlier. don't bet on your engine's head gasket because of what a book says.

I tested the antifreeze. (71,000 miles and 3 years). It looks good and still protects as good as when fresh. I've always gone by the book and have never had a failure related to coolant, engine oil, or anything. In fact, I've run many vehicles well over 100k miles, and never had an engine, including the head gasket, radiator, transmission, or other major failure.

I run 71% nitrogen in my tires, and always have. I check the pressure weekly. I've never had rims rust, and certainly don't expect that problem now, with all of my rims being made of aluminum. I've also never seen water come out of a tire being changed out of a new one.

Navy jets are in a demanding environment that we will never see. They go from extremely high temperatures on the carrier deck to extremely low temperatures at altitude. My cars will never see those extremes or anything close to them. I can understand why an aircraft operator or a racing team would use 100% nitrogen. I can't understand why a street vehicle would need it.

Unless, of course, it was free or very inexpensive. Besides, how are you going to get all of the air out of the tire? I can't see how you could be certain you had 100% nitrogen in there, unless you suck all of the air out first. Good luck finding a way to do that.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

$40 ???
Old 11-09-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAOKKIE
Good morning Redneck you should be asleep.
You got that right. Unfortunately, accute insomnia is one of the many parts of my disability. It's no wonder I have so many frikkin posts in such little time. LOL

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Gimmick at Tire Stores